Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin 39A firing pin

624 8
About 3 yrs. ago the original firing pin on my 1956 Mountie broke in two . Marlin no longer made them but I was able to obtain one from another supplier. Recently i began to experince numerous misfires and on examination I noticed that the end of the firing pin struck by the hammer was peened over and distorted from the impact of the hammer. The other end that strikes the rim of the cartridge was also mildly distorted from impacting the cartridge to the point that it appears to be making minimal contact likely leading to the misfires.Upon examining the original firing pin that is over 50 yrs. old and has been used many thousands of times over those years I can see no distortion or peening of the metal whatsoever...it just simply snapped!. Has anyone else had this same problem??.Can you recommend a manufacturer of a firing pin that actually works for a long period of time that you have actually used successfully?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
i get lots of parts from both of them
and most are oem.
never had a problem with return repairs.
they absolutely have parts that numrich has discontinued.
my first stop for vintage parts.
if one don't have it the other does.
you'll be happy.........
sea-ya
gendoc

·
Registered
481 Posts
About 3 yrs. ago the original firing pin on my 1956 Mountie broke in two . Marlin no longer made them but I was able to obtain one from another supplier. Recently i began to experince numerous misfires and on examination I noticed that the end of the firing pin struck by the hammer was peened over and distorted from the impact of the hammer. The other end that strikes the rim of the cartridge was also mildly distorted from impacting the cartridge to the point that it appears to be making minimal contact likely leading to the misfires.Upon examining the original firing pin that is over 50 yrs. old and has been used many thousands of times over those years I can see no distortion or peening of the metal whatsoever...it just simply snapped!. Has anyone else had this same problem??.Can you recommend a manufacturer of a firing pin that actually works for a long period of time that you have actually used successfully?
Sounds like the OEM was heat treated and the replacement was not. Snapping (fracture) is a failure mode in heat treated (i.e., hard) parts and peening shows that the material is soft and ductile.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[Sounds like the OEM was heat treated and the replacement was not. Snapping (fracture) is a failure mode in heat treated (i.e., hard) parts and peening shows that the material is soft and ductile

That was exactly the problem. After only3 yrs. of use the repro pin is done whereas the OEM part lasted over 50 yrs. I received my new pin from Dick Williams today.They claim it's OEM Marlin . It does have a much tighter fit similar to the original ...the repro part was quite sloppy by comparison. I'll try it out and hope it lasts another 50 or so years . After that time my son can worry about it! As a bonus, I also own a Remington 541T that has been out of commission for about 6 mo. because of a failed part that is no longer available. I have been looking for awhile. Well Dick Williams carries obsolete Remington part as well and they happened to have the part I need for just over $8.00 plus shipping!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.