Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin 39A accuracy ?

3468 Views 31 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Texan22
How does the new Marlin 39A stack up to the CZ 452's ?? I know Marlin makes high quality rifles, no doubt....I have a CZ452 Ultra Lux that I love and it is an absolute tack driver. Do the 39A's shoot as well as the CZ's ?? I've always wanted to add a lever action to my collection, and I thought about getting another CZ .22 but I think I'll get that in a larger caliber (527FS or 527 carbine). So....that leaves me looking at the Marlin for my next .22 but I'm hoping I won't be sacrificing the accuracy I have with the 452 Ultra Lux.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Premium Member
30,584 Posts
I doubt if the Lever action would be as accurate as the Bolt Action. I don't think that is a fair comparison. If you need something that is near "bench rest" accuraty, keep the CZ. I have several lever actions, but I don't have the CZ. I am basing my opinion on all of the favorable comments from CZ owners. The 39s are more expensive, but they have "class" that is hard to duplicate.

· Premium Member
8,406 Posts
The Marlin 39a will surprise you, many feel it wont shoot because it's a lever but they would be wrong. Cant speak for the new ones, but the older models will give your CZ a run, I have both a '67 model 39a and a CZ American and still havent figured out which is more fun to shoot!! :D :D :AR15firin .. You might consider looking around for an older 39a in good shape, not too hard to find. When you get so you can stand on your hind legs and outshoot the 39a, let us know so we can send you to the National Matches. :t

· Registered
7,290 Posts
I feel 39As shoot very good but if you're talking 1/4" groups at 50 yards or sub 1" at 100 yds, I think you're fooling yourself. Besides, to get that kind of accuracy, you need a big piece of glass on top and that ruins the looks of a 39A which, if you're honest with yourself, is half the reason and fun of owning one.

· Registered
244 Posts
I posted this last week. Shot with an old junk 22 rifle scope 4x. So for those of you who have seen last week I apologize. BUT. Put a decent scope on this 39A and it would be really interesting what it would shoot. About a 1976 purchase.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't think I could ever scope a 39A, as I love shooting with irons and like you said, would defeat the purpose and the classy look of the Marlin. I don't do any competition shooting and certainly don't expect THAT kind of accuracy with anything that I shoot (1/4" groups @ 50 / sub 1" @ 100). I just want it to go plinking with and "casual" target shooting. The only time I ever shoot from the bench is to set the sights or to see how a particular brand of ammo performs. Also, I know I just have to have a lever action Marlin in my rack somewhere.....as well as another .22 and a centerfire rifle. If I get a larger caliber Marlin, say a .30-30, it wouldn't get used nearly as often as my .22's. I do plan on getting another CZ in the near future though, and I love the mannlicher stocks they offer on the FS models...but I'd rather get that in a centerfire cartridge rather than the .22 version.

· Premium Member
8,406 Posts
I put a Weaver t16 on my marlin 39a just to play with different ammo. wolf MT would shoot CONSISTANT 1 1/2 " 10-shot groups at 100 meters on a calm morning, dynapoint a close second. My CZ American will only shoot about a 1/4" better. I think the 10-shot sub oneinch group with a .22 is an abberation that only happens once in a while by more luck than skill, not CONSISTANTLY. Anyway, the 39a will bring you years of enjoyment, it is a topnotch high quality item. If you dont like a scope on it, the Marble tang sight is a very good choice.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. Just so you know, I have nothing against scopes....just a matter of personal preferences. I just think the lever action Marlins look nicer with irons. I almost put one on my CZ, but decided to spend that money on a 452 Scout for my son instead :D But, I've had GREAT results from Brookie's ghost ring sights on my CZ Ultra Lux and would probably go with something similar to that. My eyes aren't what they used to be. I'd be very happy getting consistent inch and a half groups at 100 yards though. Are the 39A's picky about feeding ammo with the tube magazine ?

· Premium Member
30,584 Posts
If you don't plan on putting a scope on either gun, then get the 39. It will shoot better than any of us probably shoot and its certainly more fun than a bolt gun. I haven't shot my 77-22 in years, and it has a scope.

· Registered
244 Posts
When I had a place to shoot squirrels in Minnesota with my 39 I'd use 22 hp shorts. The little suckers shot surprising one hole tight groups @ 25 yards and where absolutely death on squirrels. And, so quiet -- the squirrels (nor anyone else) never knew I was there.

· Registered
7,290 Posts
jnyork said:
I put a Weaver t16 on my marlin 39a just to play with different ammo. wolf MT would shoot CONSISTANT 1 1/2 " 10-shot groups at 100 meters on a calm morning, dynapoint a close second. My CZ American will only shoot about a 1/4" better. I think the 10-shot sub oneinch group with a .22 is an abberation that only happens once in a while by more luck than skill, not CONSISTANTLY. Anyway, the 39a will bring you years of enjoyment, it is a topnotch high quality item. If you dont like a scope on it, the Marble tang sight is a very good choice.
1 1/2" with a sporter type rifle IS very good. You're right that it's probably luck when you shoot sub inch groups with that type.... I guess I was comparing it to target rifles at the time. I've shot sub 1" at 100 with my 513S Remington and Wolf MT and Lapua Master L on a good day. The Wolf was sorted by weight and the heavier ones seem to shoot best. Lapua was right out of the box. Also I'm no expert on reading wind flags and it's amazing how little wind it takes to effect a .22 at 100 yds. We've found 100 yds to be a whole new ballgame... the same ammo that shoots at 50 may be totally worthless at 100. I've never tried 100 yds with my 39A and can't imagine I ever will, but it will sure shoot as good as or better than most of my bolt guns with open or peep sights.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
You really need to have both rifles

I shoot smallbore "cowboy" class silhouette matches with a Marlin. I shoot a scoped 452 American in smallbore "hunter" class also. 90% of the "cowboy" shooters and those that win shoot Marlins. Have a trigger job done and it's a completely different rifle.

I wish I could find an older 39, 1950's-1960's, that wasn't too badly beaten up...err, I mean that had some character. :D

452's and 39's are like apples and oranges. They're both fine firearms, but...

· Registered
273 Posts
tylden said:
How does the new Marlin 39A stack up to the CZ 452's ?? Do the 39A's shoot as well as the CZ's ??
I have the 452 American scoped with a Leupold 3-9AO. GREAT accuracy trigger and overal quality. Probably the most accurate gun I have.

I also have a 70s vintage 39A. No scope. It's probably the most fun 22 rifle I have. Excellent quality.

I'll give the edge to the CZ for accuracy, but if I could only have one... it would be the 39. It's fun to shoot the 39 off the bench but where it REALLY shines is in the field. Plenty of accuracy for anything you can hunt with a 22 and it plinking doesn't get much better than plinking with a 39. It cycles everything, even empty cases, it seems to shoot everything pretty well and some brands great (mine seems to like non-copperwashed bullets best).

Most will agree, once you get a 39, the only regret you'll have is why it took you so long to get one. I've never seen one I didn't want to buy.

· Registered
4,029 Posts
Couple weeks ago I was "playing" with my 1979 vintage 39A at the range. I've always used Win Power Points for squirrel hunting and it always got 'em :t , but that day for some reason it just wasn't putting them in small groups as I thought it should. Friend had given me some SK Standard Plus (which shoots absolutely great in both my CZ's) so I thought I'd try it in the Marlin. Pic that follows is the result. Group on bottom right was across a rest but with no rear rest, and the other 3 gps were benched at 50yds. Think I may have found a new small game getter for my old buddy :D .

· Registered
130 Posts
The Marlin 39's and CZ's are accurate dudes...and yes bolt action in a high power rifle give a better foundation for accuracy....but to make a difference in a .22 use in the field I dunno....

Both the CZ and Marlin 39 are fine, accurate firearms. Both will give good to great accuracy. Both should be equivalent with the same sighting system...which having been said...equivalent that is...what will you use it for?

If you're going to use them in the field....I don't believe you'll see the difference in hunting...1/2 inch vs. 1/4 inch accuracy at 50 yards....you still can perforate tree rat skulls and beyond 50 yards....other variables begin to matter more like wind speed, elevation, optics, how steady your rest is.

Punching paper at 50 to 100...OK get the maybe CZ if you really want a lever and are all keyed up on bughole groups...but for all else man I just like a lever action and I don't care about a little accuracy one way or another.

Just one more thing...when you're talking accuracy out-of-the-box, it's random chance as to whether you get (for either manufacturer) a really good shooter or not.....so all of this is based on averages and....will 1/2" vs. say 1/4" accuracy in the field be enough for you to choose a look, feel and action that you really don't prefer?

Have A Great Day,
Ken

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm sold....my next rifle in .22LR caliber will be the Marlin 39A ! It will be a plinking and "fun shooting" rifle anyway, and like I said, I've always wanted a lever action. So, I guess my next CZ will be a centerfire to fill that void in my collection. I just have to wait until next payday and take care of a few bills first or I'll be depending on the Marlin's accuracy to feed my family rabbit and squirrel until I get paid again LOL. Now, the fun of searching the gun stores begins for a new one or an exceptional vintage used one :D

· Registered
11 Posts
tylden said:
How does the new Marlin 39A stack up to the CZ 452's ?? I know Marlin makes high quality rifles, no doubt....I have a CZ452 Ultra Lux that I love and it is an absolute tack driver. Do the 39A's shoot as well as the CZ's ?? I've always wanted to add a lever action to my collection, and I thought about getting another CZ .22 but I think I'll get that in a larger caliber (527FS or 527 carbine). So....that leaves me looking at the Marlin for my next .22 but I'm hoping I won't be sacrificing the accuracy I have with the 452 Ultra Lux.
brother and I shoot rim fire at 100 yards on a regular basis to see who has to buy the Big Macs. One of his rifles is a 39A with a Leu. 2x - 7x scope on it. He shoots ten shot groups in the 1.25" area all the time using cheap ammo.
He has a 541 Rem. that will shoot the same thing close to an inch. Just to give you an idea.
gary

· Registered
7,290 Posts
tylden said:
I'm sold....my next rifle in .22LR caliber will be the Marlin 39A ! It will be a plinking and "fun shooting" rifle anyway, and like I said, I've always wanted a lever action. So, I guess my next CZ will be a centerfire to fill that void in my collection. I just have to wait until next payday and take care of a few bills first or I'll be depending on the Marlin's accuracy to feed my family rabbit and squirrel until I get paid again LOL. Now, the fun of searching the gun stores begins for a new one or an exceptional vintage used one :D
Along the lines of new vs. used, I think you'll find most 39A owners prefer used, pre-crossbolt safety models. Just thought I'd throw that in... you can throw it out if you want to :) . I'm sure someone with a new one will say his is just fine, and it may be, but ask if he has an older one to compare.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.