Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question and was wondering some others opinions. I am trying to decide between a marlin 982L laminated stock 22 magnum or an H & R .223 ultra varmint with laminted stock and heavy barrel. Mostly will be using it on ground hogs around 100 yards and for plinking, but possibly for coyotes as well. Is the .22 WMR really underpowered for coyotes? What is the accuracy at 100 yards probably gonna be on the 982L?

Advantages to the .223....range and I figure the accuracy on the HB ultra varmint is excellent.

Advantages for the .22wmr would be ammo cost and follow up shot time (as it is a repeater). Plus, I really like the looks of the marlin. The H&R looks kinda plain if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
To be honest, the .223 would probably be a better choice for coyote sized animals. In the other hand, smaller sized varmints under 100 yards would be handled just fine by the .22 WMR.

The ammo advantage of the .22 WMR is not quite as great as you'd imagine. Most .22 WMR runs from the high three dollars to ten dollars for fifty. At least twice a year, Bass Pro sells .223 FMJ for $2.88/20 rounds. While FMJ isn't the recommended hunting ammo, it's really cheap plinking fodder.

Should you knock your coyote range back to 50 yards, and really wait for the shot, the .22 WMR will work, most of the time. I think that I'd buy both, scope them out, and just enjoy myself. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Love Both

Both are great calibers-- both are solid, steady workhorse type rifles you have mentioned. You can't go wrong with either. You have named legimate reasons for needing both. I am with JR47--- if you can swing it, get both. They will both serve you well in the various hunting situations you may encounter. I have really come to like that 22 mag for groundhogs under a 100 yards-- not a real boomer-- quiet and not a lot of overkill. Good to use where you need just more punch than a 22LR. I have shot 4 groundhogs this summer with my marlin, and each fell over as if struck by lightning. Don't underestimate that 22 mag-- it is pretty awesome. I just can't say what performance it will give on 100 yard coyotes though, because I have yet to have that opportunity. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got this one....i have a couple of H&R Ultra's in .223, .308 and .22WMR.

Prairie dogs under 100 yards .22LR
Prairie dogs and coyotes under 50-100 yards .22 WMR
note: I have taken prairie dogs at 250+ with the .22WMR
Paririe dogs and coyotes 100-600 yards .223
The loft needed for long shots in the .22WMR is huge. I have shot tin cans at 600 yards and the loft was at the bottom of a 10x scope.

EDIT: I try not to shoot coyotes with anything less than the .223, but they will drop pretty effortlessly under 100 yards with correct shot placement. Keep in mind that more deer are harvested with the .22LR than all other gun calibers combined. (illegally though) Deer are way harder to drop with a centerfire than any coyote I've ever taken.

·
Registered
636 Posts
i'd say go for the marlin. I hate NEF/H&R products. .22 mag will cleanly kill cyotes and g'hogs out to 100 yards with head shots. You can take rib shots if you are a good shooter and are confident in yourself and your firearm. my .02

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
For those of you than need help with your NEF/H&R rifles, head over to the Graybeard Outdoors NEF/H&R forum for help, check out the FAQ/stickies and ask questions, the .223 will shoot with the right ammo and bore/chamber prep. Most shoot the winchester whitebox 45gr JHP or Ultramax reman 40gr NBT or 52gr ammo sub moa, mine shoots close to ½moa when I'm shooting good. I have a few NEF/H&R rifles, so I do know what I'm talking about!! :D

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=126

Tim

·
Registered
430 Posts
Prarie dogs under 100 yards - 22lr? You kiddin me? He listed 100 yards as his "max" range.

I'd get the H&R 223 heavy barrel. It has much more accuracy potential and plenty of power past 100 yards, less drop, less wind drift, etc. 22mags are not known for their accuracy without a LOT of tweaking. If you can't hit the target, what's the point? Plus, you're going to get a MUCH more dramatic effect with a 223 especially if you use light ballistic tip bullets.

Many H&R 223 owners have great luck with the above listed inexpensive factory ammo. Mine loves the Ultramax 40gr NBTs or 52gr HPs, and the Black Hills 40gr NBTs too. Shoots all three WAY under an inch at 100 yards. Both of the NBTs cost about $19/box of 50 and the HPs are $14/box of 50. That's not too bad. Mine does not like the cheap Winchester white box 45gr HPs. The ONLY modification I did was add a $0.19 o-ring onto the barrel stud. Just get used to the trigger and you're good to go!

H&R rifles are not "lookers", but they're ok especially with the heavy barrel and a scope. Here's mine in 223, I think it looks good. In May I shot over 350 ground squirrels in a single day at ranges mostly under 150 yards, some a little further. It was easy. Tall grass pretty much prevented longer shots for the most part.

I currently own one NEF/H&R rifle, but I plan on buying a couple more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
woooo wait...

ok... i havn't hunted yet with my marlin .22 wmr yet... but i've wacked wood chucks...i mean BIG wood chucks... at over 100 yards with my 10/22... with aguila super maxes... of course... and they droped like NOW.... i think... personaly being an owner of a .223... and hunt dear with a .223 that a .22wmr would be just fine for shoot yotes over 100-150 yards... but i do agree with STIFF NECK that the prices of .223 are not that expensive... i mean.. i shoot umc .223 fmj for deer.... no need for an hp.... even the fmjs blow up on impact...anyway... me... personaly... if noise is a problem.... go with the .22wmr... if not....223 and for example... my marlin 925m was $159 at wal-mart... i'm sure the .223 rifle your talkin about is probly 250-350 range??? u can buy alot of .22wmr ammo for the diff in price

·
Registered
849 Posts
Get a .22 Hornet!

Like the NEF 22 Hornet in Synthetic. Not the ultra light, but the standard weight barrel with iron sights. That's what I have and I LOVE it! Same energy as a 22 Magnum has at the muzzle, the Hornet has that amount of energy level at 100 yards! Yet, still MUCH quiter than a .223.

If you just wanted ground hogs, prairie dogs, jack rabbits, etc, I'd go with a 17 HMR or 17 HM2 for the flat trajectory, but if you want to include the "bigger guys" on the menu, give the Hornet a SERIOUS look, as it will easily handle everything you mentioned AND the Coyote situation, MUCH better than a 22 WMR. If you are only going to realistically shoot at ranges of 150-175 yards on the Max side, you do NOT need the power or the noise of a .223. If you shoot in a more remote area where noise is NOT a consideration, and shots could come at 200+ yards, then I would go with a .223.

Think of it like this:

Whatever the 22 Magnum will do at POINT BLANK RANGE, the 22 Hornet will do almost exactly the same at 100 yards!

Whatever you feel comfortable hunting with a 22 WMR at 100 yards, the 22 Hornet has almost exactly the same power at 200 yards!

See what I mean?

And all without much more NOISE than the 22 Mag. Oh, and almost NO RECOIL to mention!

Need I say more?

If you need more power and range than the aforementioned, by all means, go with the .223 as it is a great cartridge, but if not, the Hornet is the way to go! Quite possibly, one of THE MOST UNDERATED 22 centerfires for use at most practical ranges!

·
Registered
12 Posts
hmmmm

not to down what u said coloradogeezer i believe every word of it.... BUT arn't 22 hornets a bit pricey....??? i would go with .223 just cause its WAY cheaper... but i'm also a reguler shooter...so i coud'nt afford to shoot hornets...hehe they are a great cartridge.... just like the 218 bee.... **** good.... but pricey... i with they would lower the costs.... i'd have both a 218 and a hornet...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
One of the earlier posts in this thread mentioned that 22 WMR's are not known for their accuracy. I think that is a much outdated statement. When the 22 magnum was introduced that was the case, but production quality standards are much better now and the 22 WMR will no group nicely out of most well made rifles. I have a Marlin 883 that groups under 2inches at 100 yards from a bench using just a front sandbag. I bet if I put it into a locked machine rest that eliminated my human error, it would shoot 1 inch or less.
I think many people get too hung up on "sub MOA" groups. They buy into the manufacturers' and magazines' hype. Same thing with the huge magnum caliber velocities. I think that most shooters would be wiser if they put more of their focus into improving their shooting ability. I see plenty of shooters at the range who shoot only from the bench and are so proud about their tight groups. I'd be mighty curious to see how their groups would look if they shot from practical hunting positions like offhand, sitting, and prone.
oops- a rant there. About the 22 mag's performance on game- I think out to 150 yards it will do the trick on anything up to groundhog size. Coyotes would be a 75-100 yard fare for 22 WMR. On a side note- I know a guy who says that he took a few whitetail deer with the 22 magnum- chest shots no less! He said that it really tore up their lungs and dropped them within 100 yards no problem. Not that I'm advocating that. I think the 30-30 and 243 Win. is a good minimum on deer.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
most h/r 's now a days are as cheap or cheaper than the 22mags. that said , you will save the price of ther difference in about 20to 30 boxes of mag rounds maybe even less, depending which round your mag likes to shoot. i use to have a super accurate tube fed 22mag, bolt action. held 13 rounds! except for say , bear, moose or elk, you can hit and drop pretty much anything you want with a 22 mag inside of 100 yds. had a coyote backflip on a good 22 side chest shot once. hit a P. dog at about 30 yds once and it vanished!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.