Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard some talk about shots "stringing"; that is, printing a line on the target, in my case horizontally from left to right.

I put my first shot in the 10 ring, and kept my point of aim on that hole... the next 4 shots almost touched, but travelled across the paper towards the right.

Can anyone explain this to me? I think one thread suggested floating the barrel... My 17vs is supposed to be floated, but I suppose it might need further sanding in the channel?
Advice welcome.

·
Registered
737 Posts
How was the wind?

A cross wind will do that. Also if you didn't free float it completely the pressure could be varying on the side of the barrel.

And the part you don't want to hear. It could be shooter error. Changing the pressure on your cheek, shooting with a sling? Different head position, squeezing the trigger different, almost anything in your shooting style can change the point of impact.

·
Registered
130 Posts
green said:
My 17vs is supposed to be floated, but I suppose it might need further sanding in the channel?
Ding Ding Ding! That's what I had to do with my 17V. I opened up the barrel channel until I could slide a business card under the barrel freely. I think I used a 7/8" dowel rod I got at Sears Hardware and some 150 grit. It took longer than I expected and the wood was a lot denser than I ever would have believed.

Now I've got a 1 hole wonder.

Good luck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VAFISH, definitely no wind that day, however I have no doubt that operator error played some part in this. Its just that I have never seen this phenomenon before, and then I read a post talking about it. And my Marlin is only 50 rounds old. My eyes are about the same age in years, so lots of variables here.

I can slide a dollar bill under the bbl, but maybe it needs a little more than that? I will try it. Report back later.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi Green,

a doller bill is just not enough, at least a business card thickness 3/32nds about. When fired the barrel may be brushing the stock slightly in one direction or the other, especialy with changing forces of grip on the forstock. with such a small clearance the barrel may not touch at rest but under fire could be a different story, not to mention as it heats up it might become even more of a problem. as to your 50 year old eyes,... well I'd expect the strings to be more of groups, I'd find it odd to think your only horizontally challinged:D
I've got a 77/17 that has been freefloated and will be piller bedded soon, now shooting just under an inch fairly consistantly (no wind, no loose nut behind the trigger) its kinda neet to be able to consistantly place shots on a quarter at 100yards:t

oh, if you were at a range, you might just grab the guy next to you and see if he duplicates your problem if not, you know were the error is.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AHA! that's a good idea. Theres always lots of hombres want to give her a try... I'll put the first 5 in the x ring, and then when she's all heated up, I'll let 'em try it.... boy will I look good!:D

·
Registered
737 Posts
Green,

That sounds like a good plan. Just pay attention to how much it shifts as it heats up and you can use some Kentucky windage to compensate. Then after they shoot a bad group, you can shoot another good one.

BTW, did I recall in another post you have a Tasco World Class 6-24x 40mm scope on your 17V? I have that scope and just ordered the rifle, want to have the rings ready when it shows up. Which rings did you use?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VAFISH, my Tasco is a 6x24x42 , not 40 like the world class, and not 44, like what Chief Dave referred to earlier in that thread. I guess that the only difference is the Objective lens size.

The Marlins come with rings...but I used B-Square medium high rings, as the Marlin ones were to low. If you have a 40mm Ob. lens, I think the stock rings are still going to be too low.

Have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.