Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Mark III Reassembly a PITA

598 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  SGW Gunsmith
I love shooting my Ruger Mark III 22/45.
My only mods are a LCI filler, and a Volquartsen trigger kit.
It is dead on accurate with iron sights at 25', and I love it.
However, I just dread breaking it down to clean it.
Getting the bolt stop pin back in is a real PITA.
I've taken some 00 steel wool to it in hopes of smoothing any bumps out, and liberally greased it up, but no joy!
I was even thinking about trying to find a worn bolt stop pin for it.
It's still fairly new, and I hope that it would get better with time, but at this rate I am more likely to take a hammer to it before that can happen.
Your advice would be appreciated.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
After pushuing the pin in and out about 20 times one night (I kept forgetting to pull the trigger as I pushed the mainspring back in, and it kept pulling the pin out) it got much better. Now I really have no trouble getting it to slide back in.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
After pushuing the pin in and out about 20 times one night (I kept forgetting to pull the trigger as I pushed the mainspring back in, and it kept pulling the pin out) it got much better. Now I really have no trouble getting it to slide back in.
I did the same about 30 times with a really tight Mark II. I also pushed/pulled the mainspring assembly in/out a couple dozen times to loosen that fit up.

· Registered
60 Posts
Some say their Rugers loosen up over time and become easier to assemble and disassemble. I shot my MK II for Bullseye twice a week for several years and took it apart to clean once a week. I have to beat it with a plastic mallet every time. I put witness marks on the receiver and frame, but it is still a challenge.

A friend recently bought a .22/45 target MK III. He took it apart to clean it before taking it out to the range. We absolutely could not get it back together. He finally did some dremel work on it (not really recommended) so he could get it back together.

Ruger makes a really nice pistol. All they need is a little trigger work to be an excellent Bullseye gun. If only they were easier to maintain. It would appear that the magazine safety made an already difficult job more so.

· Registered
12,408 Posts
Sam's bushing ([email protected]) will eliminate the mag disco parts and then the difficulty with that end of reassembly will go away. You'll get an added edge of magazines that more positively go into place and then zip out of the grip frame once you push the mag release. Well worth the $11.00 cost shipped to your abode. :bthumb:

· Registered
115 Posts
When I put the mainspring pin back in, I push it as high as it will go, then I take a punch and push the spring-tensioned silver "catch" backwards (looking at the top of the gun down, down the hole that the pin comes up through). That lets the pin slide back in REALLY easily. Try it!

· Registered
163 Posts
When mine was still super tough to push back in, the best thing I found was to take a solid steel screwdriver and set it crossways on the back of the pin. then you can grab on either side of it, set your thumbs on the top of the receiver (near the hole for the pin) and squeeze em together. It works really well, and as long as you don't slide the screwdriver it won't even scratch the mainspring.

· Registered
115 Posts
When mine was still super tough to push back in, the best thing I found was to take a solid steel screwdriver and set it crossways on the back of the pin. then you can grab on either side of it, set your thumbs on the top of the receiver (near the hole for the pin) and squeeze em together. It works really well, and as long as you don't slide the screwdriver it won't even scratch the mainspring.
That's a good idea too!

· Registered
12,408 Posts
Inserting the bolt stop pin in from the top of the receiver is really easy to do, as long as you don't have an optic sight mounted to prevent aligning the upper with the lower with that method. :bthumb: Foolproof and then the mainspring housing goes in slicker than goose poop. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.