Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Warm and Cozy Indoor Scores . . .

March was the last month for INDOOR scores, until next NOVEMBER.
Everybody shoots in the gentle outdoor breezes starting in APRIL.
---------------------
50 Foot Indoor
---------------------
250-18x Larry Sand Rosholt South Dakota
Ruger K77/22VBZ. Tasco 6x24x40mm High [email protected] Wolf M.T.Ammo
Trigger Tuned to a Crisp 2 Pounds. Barrel Free Floated).

250-16x Jim Pollard, Kingsland Texas, (graybeard)
Anschutz 1710 D HB, BSA T 36 scope, Federal Lighting BAB
Stock rifle with Homemade "Fudd" type tuner
(Jim's score was shot outdoors)

250-15x Todd Banks. Salem, New York (Renegade)
Ruger 10/22, Weaver V24 @ 24X, Lapua Midas M
GM SS 20" barrel, Kidd Match trigger, VQ thumbhole stock, bolt headspaced and chamfered, homemade bughole style tuner

250-10x Ron Berg. Wahpeton, North Dakota
Marlin 2000L. Simmons 8x32x44mm #[email protected] 32X. Wolf Match Target.
Rifle Basix Trigger set at a Crisp 1 1/2 pounds.

250-22x Bruce Flinn. Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada (reg)
Winchester M-52D. Weaver T-20. Lapua Midas L (lot 4629E)
Custom trigger, chamber, crown, McMillan BR stock, Hoehn tuner
This is a very sweet lot of ammo, I believe this rifle/ammo combo is
capable of 250-25x. The three I missed were my fault. It was "cards
night" at the Rod and Gun. Folks kept stumbling into the range and asking loud
questions.

250-11x Bruce Flinn. Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada (reg)
CZ/BRNO Mod. 3. Weaver KT-15. Lapua Midas L
Barrel Floated, spring tension tuning device removed, sling swivels
removed. This rifle needs to be glass bedded, I was chasing the POI back and
forth. The round forend seems a bit of a pain now that I'm used to a flat
benchrest stock.

250 -11x Dan Hawkins. Boise, Idaho (HAWK)
Winchester 52B. Unertl 10x Scope. Wolf Target Ammo
I am very fortunate to get this score. I was shooting off a very wobbily bench, so it was hard to hold steady. The gun did all the work. I am certain that a 250 - 25x is possible with this gun!

250-17X - Stan Gibbs - Kingsland, Texas (Claybuster)
Anschutz 64MS - BSA 36X scope - Fed. Lightning (BAB)
Barrel floated - Homemade Brass barrel tuner
At 50 ft. the ammo used doesn't seem to make much difference........
(Stan's score was shot outdoors)

250-14x, Linda Wanek, Wahpeton North Dakota
Ruger K77/22VBZ. Tasco 6x24x40mm High Country. Wolf M.T. (New Lot)
Trigger Tuned to a Crisp 2 Pounds. Barrel Free Floated.

250-11x Jerome Moshier. Sisseton, South Dakota
Ruger K77/22VBZ. Tasco 6x24x40mm Sightron. Win. X-Pert BULK H.Ps (BAB)
Trigger Tuned to a Crisp 2 Pounds. Barrel Shimmed and Free Floated.

245-5x Larry Sand Rosholt South Dakota
T/C Contender HANDGUN. Burris 3x12x LER @ 10X. C.C.I. Blazer (BAB)
Super 14 barrel. Trigger tuned to a super Crisp 2 pounds. Forend Free Floated and Pillar Bedded),

243-5x - Stan Gibbs - Kingsland, Texas (Claybuster)
Remington 582 - Tasco 4-16X scope (on 16X) Fed. Lightning (BAB)
Just had to shoot a 50 footer with the plinker & junk ammo.........

238 2x Charles LeBar. North Tonawanda New, York (Rimfire Junkie)
Ruger 10/22 Deluxe. Weaver K10. CCI SV
1.5 IB home brew trigger, bolt "chamfer", OT buffer, VQ extractor, VQ ext. mag release, polished mag wells.
---------------------
25 Yard Indoor
---------------------
250-11x Todd Banks. Salem, New York (Renegade)
Ruger 10/22, Weaver V24 @ 24X, Lapua Midas M
GM SS 20" barrel, Kidd Match trigger, VQ thumbhole stock, bolt headspaced and chamfered, homemade bughole style tuner

249-6x Todd Banks. Salem, New York (Renegade)
Suhl 150, Factory rifle except for a paint job, I've done so much scope swapping lately, I can't remember which scope was on the rifle when I shot this one, Wolf Match Target I've found out since I got the Suhl last week that it shoots Eley much better than anything with a Lapua stamp.

248-11x John Picher. Augusta, Main. (Ice Man)
Remungton 581. (Scope: ?) Eley EPS Match Extra
Lilja barrel in the Using two batches of cull EPS.
The first batch went clean, but the second produced a couple of 9s.
Not bad for a sporter-weight barrel held in by glue.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Not that it really matters, Joe, but my & Graybeard's 50 ft targets were shot outdoors, not indoors..............

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea: I know:

Maybe I should have put a note in there about your outdoor scores.

Well: Guess I could edit the post. Yea, I'll go do that now.

Seems to me that your 50 foot outdoor scores sort of indicate that wind has little effect at 50 feet. Some of the guys that were shooting indoors were seeing mirage. Could that be a bigger problem then outdoor wind at 50 feet?

Years ago I shot lots of 50 foot indoor 3 and 4 position matches. Most were with iron sights, but some with the old long 20 and 24 power scopes. Funny thing: I don't recall seeing mirage at 50 feet indoors.

The worst mirage I ever saw was at the Louisiana State NBRSA Championship centerfire BR match at Lafayette. That range was down in a swamp. At 200 yards the targets would just disappear for many seconds at a time.

Anyway: The 50 foot match, indoors and outdoors could have possibilities for recruiting new shooters. Next winter we will have the chance to see if it will work. Looking at the 50 foot scores this season, I have no problem combining indoor and outdoor 50- foot scores next winter.

Joe

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I agree, Joe, that there should be no significant difference in shooting a 50 foot target indoors or out. The wind really has almost no effect @ 50' & I can hardly visualize any mirage effect at that distance indoors.

I do think the 50' match may help encourage some new shooters who might feel a little intimidated @ 25 or 50 yds. The 50' targets are a great morale builder for all of us. Even the tiny USBR targets look pretty big at that distance.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see . . .

. . . a different problem that new shooters may face at 50 feet. Most of them will probably come to the range with a scope that does not have parallax adjustments or maybe a scope with parallax adjustment what will not come down to 50 feet.

The cheap small tube 2.5X and 4X scopes will probably give better results than the hunting scopes at 50 feet. I suspect that good iron sights would give better scores at 50 feet than a hunting scope.

You guys want to experiment with irons and hunting scopes at 50 feet and give us an answer to this?

Joe

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Joe & Claybuster

The scope I have been using on my Contender Handgun does not parallax down to 50 feet, and has been giving me fits. It is on it's way back from Burris now for the 3rd time, and hopefully they have it right this time.

The scope I have been using on the Contender Handgun is Burris' 3x12x LER Fine Plex-PA with Target Turrets. While the AO ring does go down below 25 yards a little bit, I have been experiencing parallax problems at 50 feet. I sent this scope in to Burris for some other problems and they assured me they could reset this scope for use at 50 feet.

Well like I stated earlier it is now on it's way back to me for the 3rd time, and hopefully it is RIGHT this time. The parallax wasn't horrible, but would take me from the center of the X-Ring to the edge of the 10-Ring.

Larry

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Parallax

I think Joe's right about it being a possible problem, but even focusing might be a problem. I have a 3-9x (Simmons 22Mag w/o AO) and had to back it down to about 5x to shoot at 25 yards.

I don't really think 50ft would be that much less intimidating than 25yd. So, IMHO we should stick with 25yd and 50yd outdoor, and just have a winter 50ft class that can be shot indoors or outdoors.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
50 feet and scopes

I received my 3x12x LER Burris Handgun Scope back from Burris yesterday. This time it is perfect, and I can totally eliminate Parallax at 50 feet, (actually now can totally eliminate parallax at well under 50 feet) and the scope is much clearer now. Prior to this I was unable to use it at over 10x, but now it is quite usable at 12x.

For what it is worth I did do a little shooting yesterday with it at 50 feet. No I did not shoot a complete USBR Target for compairison, but from the shooting I did do I could tell there is going to be a difference now that I can eliminate parallax and make my scope clear at 50 feet.

Looks like I no longer have an excuse, well except for shooter error that is.

Larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.