Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a bunch of barrel questions. I have a Ruger 96/22 that I would like to upgrade with a new barrel. I use this gun mostly for squirrel hunting. Volquartzen told me that they can cut a second extractor slot for $15.00 extra. I had been thinking of getting a Volquartzen muzzle weighted barrel in a 1:9" twist for the Aguila SSS bullet. But I thought maybe this round won't be available forever so a barrel specifically for that may not be a great idea. What do you guys think about this? Is a muzzle weighted barrel good and light for squirrel hunting? Will a 1:9" twist barrel accurately shoot normal high velocity and standard velocity rounds as opposed to the Aguila SSS? Or should I go for the muzzle weighted barrel in a regular twist rate?

I also have thought about a Carbon Fiber .920 barrel since it is nice and light. I have read on some other threads that the CF barrels do not get that great of accuracy. How would a CF bull barrel compare to the muzzle weighted barrel in weight and accuracy?

I know that a stainless heavy barrel would give me the best accuracy but I would rather not lug it around through the woods. Is the heavy barrel a burden to carry around or is this not a great concern? How does the heavy barrel compare with the MW'd barrel and the CF barrel?

I just can't decide which barrel is the best for me. Please help me out.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
if you want heavy barrel accuracy without the weight you should try either a Whistle pig or Tac-sol barrel. these are aluminum tension barrels the 16" pig weight is 15oz. good luck and keep :snipersmi

·
Registered
581 Posts
Be careful if you choose the Whistlepig barrel for your 96/22. I just did the 96/22 mag to 96/17hrm with a Whistlepig barrel and the shank on the WP barrel had to be shortened a little bit. Cost me about $50 to get it done by a gunsmith. Also had some issues on the firing pin striking too high...Still solving failure to eject issues - looks like I'll be cutting in the second extractor slot. BTW a 10/22 extractor will NOT work on a 96/22.
Good luck!
KC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.