Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
40 years ago I lived in a big ****ty and belonged to a pistol club to shoot anything I'd travel several miles in gruesome traffic, so I decided to shoot at home in the garage got me a couple airguns a rifle and I already had the pistol. i tried the cardboard box with carpet strips but it was not ideal.
I decided to build a genuine silent pellet trap. I built a box out of pine 12x12 x 10 inches deep the back of the box
is open and I placed a thick piece of plywood that was held with 4 screws so That I could get in the box to empty it
The front is also open to accommodate a regular clipboard. I carefully cut the clipboard to make an opening all the way round to be able to use card stock for targets, the clip holds the targets
for targets,. Went to a local electrical supply store and bought 12 pounds of Duct Seal,
( it's the putty that electricians use to seal big openings when they run conduit) At home I stuffed the DS into the box
to make about 4 inches thick it covered the entire inside of the box. I framed the front of the box with 1x4s to contain any pellets or BBs that bounced of the seal and drop in the bottom of the box, after gazillion pellets a few bounce on the ones in the seal. i have built several over the years always improving latest has a channel to insert the clipboard.
Natural material Wood Rectangle Wood stain Tints and shades
Art Wood Gas Tints and shades Circle
Wood Hardwood Plywood Pet supply Room

·
Registered
135 Posts
Fill up the Priority Mail boxes (free at Post office) with plastic trash bags.
The plastic will stop the BBs.
When the box gets shot up, empty out BBs (shoot them again) and get another box.
You can also use rubber mulch.
Rubber mulch is good for pellets.
Me, I use duct seal (it looks like C4) (get it in the electrical department at Home Depot/Lowe’s.
Stops the most powerful pellets if you pack it three inches thick.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I used an old rickety fruit crate. Removed the old nails, then pre drilled the same holes for screws. Used wood glue when I assembled with screws. Drilled the backside and edges/corners for a little zip tie reinforcement.

Filled it with three slabs of that clay stuff sold by online airgun dealers for renewing one of their pellet traps.

I use some clamps to act as a bracket for holding an inexpensive clamp-on reading lamp. Targets stay put with nails pushed through the paper and into the clay.

When pellets stack up after months of shooting, dig some out and shoot some more (it is used a whole lot more than this old picture shows)

Will work for the rest of my lifetime

sorry about the order of the photos- they’re best viewed from bottom to top.
Font Circle Art Pattern Symmetry

Gas Audio equipment Transparency Glass Art

Wood Gas Metal Art Electrical wiring

Wood Art Rectangle Font Publication

Brown Window Rectangle Wood Wall

Plant Rectangle Wood Trunk Tree

Brown Rectangle Wood Shipping box Wood stain

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used an old rickety fruit crate. Removed the old nails, then pre drilled the same holes for screws. Used wood glue when I assembled with screws. Drilled the backside and edges/corners for a little zip tie reinforcement.

Filled it with three slabs of that clay stuff sold by online airgun dealers for renewing one of their pellet traps.

I use some clamps to act as a bracket for holding an inexpensive clamp-on reading lamp. Targets stay put with nails pushed through the paper and into the clay.

When pellets stack up after months of shooting, dig some out and shoot some more (it is used a whole lot more than this old picture shows)

Will work for the rest of my lifetime

sorry about the order of the photos- they’re best viewed from bottom to top.
View attachment 331272
View attachment 331277
View attachment 331276
View attachment 331274
View attachment 331278
View attachment 331275
View attachment 331273
Whatever works I also clean up the pellets when I get too many and melt the into bullets.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I make shooting boxes out of wood for the yard.
Some folks use electrical boxes like the ones on the side of your house and mount them on a movable frame.
I use a smaller 6” X 12” X 4” electrical box for my garage targets.
Filled with duct seal.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I like that pellet trap idea going to make one, thanks. My sight in target board is a 1/16"x12"x14" steel plate with a high density foam pad then covered with conveyor belting. It hangs from a tree and has an angled lower tray to catch deformed pellets when they fall. My main target stand is to the right of it just lets pellets drop onto a plywood base or off into oblivion.
Plant Tree Natural landscape Grass Gas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts