Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read in several books that you can drill holes in the side of your bolt to reduce the weight so that it would cycle subsonic ammo better. I know a guy that uses this in conjunction with the bolt chamfering and he brags about it. Any input? I'll look for the article and repost the specifics.

Thx

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an action in a folding stock that is a dedicated subsonic round gun. I have chamfered the bolt, added a bolt buffer, chopped & threaded the factory barrel to 16 1/4" and run a Bowers CAC22 can on it. Rather than reduce bolt weight I installed a PC guide rod which allows for easy spring swapping and simply trimmed the recoil spring until it functioned 100%.
My feeling is that I can return it to stock specs anytime which would be impossible had I drilled or milled the bolt. Seems like the reduced mass bolt would start to move rearward sooner at higher chamber pressures which could be unsafe. This would also allow more gas to enter the receiver causing the action to become dirty faster - with the suppressor it gets dirty fast enough!
One last thing in regards to accuracy is my suppressor is SS and the extra weight must tame barrel harmonics in a favorable fashion because this thing is a tack driver with decent target / subsonic ammo by RWS, Eley, Wolf or Aguila.
Just my 2¢............

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Power Custom guide rod,#10-22SG, was $8.75 and I used the original Ruger bolt handle & spring. The PC recoil spring, #EPS, is $2.95 on an old price sheet I have but it's not listed on their website.
Would make sense to have an extra if you plan on cutting one down in case you trim too much.
I don't remember how much I trimmed off the spring - seems like only 4 or 5 coils worked for me.
The next spring I buy will be the Speedlock CS. With one of these you may not need to trim it at all. Check it out.
Spring goodies
As for the can, barrel mods, tax stamp etc. well thats several hundred more $$$!
HTH

·
Registered
121 Posts
Take a look at this link and the the links for the pics too see another way to lighten a 10/22 bolt for shooting sub sonic ammo.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82389

That bolt is past 3,000 rounds now with ZERO problems. The only ammo used so far has been Rem. SubSonic & PMC Moderator.

The same guy that machined that one has a new bolt with a dovetail cut in the bolt and a section of teflon in the dovetail. It makes the bolt feel like its on ball bearings.

M'bogo

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't have the measurements of the cuts in the bolt written down. I'll pull the bolt and measure them if you want. I would not cut another bolt with slots as wide as mine. I would leave a contact area in the middle of the bolt that is slightly wider than the hammer.

The bolt with the teflon has a dovetail cut into the rear of the bolt, a matching section of teflon was cut to fit the dovetail. It is held in place with a bit of epoxy.

M'bogo

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You don't have to pull the bolt just for me. Just measure it the next time you pull your bolt. You can PM me or whatever. You mentioned not to cut them as big as yours were cut. Any specific reason that I should cut them smaller? Are you having any problems or is it just a preventative measure.
Again great idea,
Thx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.