Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Shooting a savage bmag with 4-16 vortex and winchester 17grs. Scope cost more than rifle. Impulse buy, as rifle was on sale and ammo was much cheaper than 22mags which i was using befor ammo became scarce.

I was really suprised with this round..after reading the forums post purchase i didnt have much hope.

Gun shoots 1/2" 3 shot groups, 3/4" 5 shot groups @100 y with the good lots.

Ive used mine on coyotes at 150 yards and below, rockchucks out to 220ish, foxes from 15 to 175, and wild dog @100. Everything I've shot with it has died instantly.

I was hoping to have a nice fox pelt gun but it has proven to be just a but too explosive on our small foxes. Offside holes 1 to 1.5" if broadside out to 175y. Head shots are needed to save the rest of the pelt if they're too close. I like to keep the mask on my pelts so while I like the stopping power, it needs a different bullet and less velocity.

I now live in an area that has WAY more coyotes than foxes. I hear them every night. I want to make a few king size coyote bedspreads so I'll be trying the 25 gr loads.
So it will be interesing to see how it does on yotes at closer ranges.

My 223 is a fine coyote gun but the much quieter boom and more frangible bullets are 'better' for the areas on my place where neigbors are closer. Plus the easy shooting 17 has proven to be quite the little killer so far.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Send your folks the $$ and have em ship it to you?
Just going to leave them there, plenty of whistle pigs need shooting come springtime. Took mine down to south end and it's an improvement over the 17 hmr the wind still pushed it around way more than the 204/223 class rounds. Was a bit surprised actually, granted the wind was high but after 150 it loses poop.

Gun shoots 1/2" 3 shot groups, 3/4" 5 shot groups @100 y with the good lots.

Ive used mine on coyotes at 150 yards and below, rockchucks out to 220ish, foxes from 15 to 175, and wild dog @100. Everything I've shot with it has died instantly.

I was hoping to have a nice fox pelt gun but it has proven to be just a but too explosive on our small foxes. Offside holes 1 to 1.5" if broadside out to 175y. Head shots are needed to save the rest of the pelt if they're too close. I like to keep the mask on my pelts so while I like the stopping power, it needs a different bullet and less velocity.
My thoughts were it would be perfect for foxes, but actually found it to be a bit lacking this fall. Grated we ended up at longer ranges and much higher winds than most end up with. Might try a bigger 17 or 204 even.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I mostly agree with your assessment about range and wind. 150 is about max for a solid anchoring shot on a 'yote. I dont necessarily take it hunting coytes in the big open fields, theres better calibers for that.

You likely have bigger foxes than we do. Ours aversge 20 or so pounds.

204 ruger or 20 practical would be a dandy windy season gun for coyotes which are much bigger and more wary of hunters than foxes in our area. Even though there are so many it's hard to get a shot inside 200 yards. Lots of younger hunters (farmer's kids I suppose) who do alot of calling, and missing, causing the rest of the quick learning population to become well educated on how to not get shot at.

A 17WSM sized case in 20cal would be intersting to try.

·
Premium Member
58,777 Posts
Now that mine is sorted I've not been able to find anyone local who want's their Ground Hog problem addressed, a shame as the 15gr load should have a significant impact on them. Accuracy after threading was hardly affected so easily sub MOA (actually more like 1/2 MOA to 200 yards). I fear the Coyotes are taking care of a lot of the Ground Hogs, getting permission to Coyote hunt is difficult as much of their activity is concentrated around Dairy farm activity. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep I consider it a perfect groundhog round for more poulated areas.
I had a massive groundhog problem when I moved back from NM. Little diggers running everywhere. At the same time I got my 17.

Out to 175 it's point and shoot, past that you have to know the exact range. Most of them are inside 200, had a few a hair past that . I have not missed one nor lost one yet over several years, so its made a huge dent in the poulation.

I'm on a farm. I really like how quiet it is. No boom at all, just a crack, and doesnt scare the animals.

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yep I consider it a perfect groundhog round for more poulated areas.
I had a massive groundhog problem when I moved back from NM. Little diggers running everywhere. At the same time I got my 17.

Out to 175 it's point and shoot, past that you have to know the exact range. Most of them are inside 200, had a few a hair past that . I have not missed one nor lost one yet over several years, so its made a huge dent in the poulation.

I'm on a farm. I really like how quiet it is. No boom at all, just a crack, and doesnt scare the animals.
:t You shooting 20gr?

41 - 50 of 50 Posts