Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Also, to the OP Old Hickory, my apologizes for sidetracking your original post but we haven't had a whole lot to talk about in the 17WSM section lately so we kind of got carried away with ourselves with all our bottled up 17WSM discussion topics so again, my apologizes to you Sir, but even with all its imperfections the 17 WSM is overwhelmingly my hands down most favorite rimfire cartridge and I just get so excited talking about it. :D:D

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Downside of the 17 wsm is the current run on everything standard. My personal belief is the downturn in the volquartsen offerings was due to the absolute run and backlog on standard offerings.

On the flipside it was the only ammo on the shelf so there was a temporary run on the 17 wsm.

Sad thing is, I cannot find ammo so the chance there is innovation in the space is probably low. No sense in new offerings when ya can't keep up with current.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Downside of the 17 wsm is the current run on everything standard. My personal belief is the downturn in the volquartsen offerings was due to the absolute run and backlog on standard offerings.

On the flipside it was the only ammo on the shelf so there was a temporary run on the 17 wsm.

Sad thing is, I cannot find ammo so the chance there is innovation in the space is probably low. No sense in new offerings when ya can't keep up with current.
Are you looking for 15gr, 20gr, or 25gr ammo?

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Also, to the OP Old Hickory, my apologizes for sidetracking your original post but we haven't had a whole lot to talk about in the 17WSM section lately so we kind of got carried away with ourselves with all our bottled up 17WSM discussion topics so again, my apologizes to you Sir, but even with all its imperfections the 17 WSM is overwhelmingly my hands down most favorite rimfire cartridge and I just get so excited talking about it. :D:D
Absolutely no apology needed, B23! I was never a fan of a subject getting mired in a hole. I enjoy all comments about .17 WSM.

I was dumbfounded when I first took my WSM tree squirrel hunting. One of my shots took a squirrel head pretty much off at a distance I could hardly believe. It's my go to rifle without question.

Pals I have talked into getting WSM rifles are also loving them.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Oh man, I bet it tore a Squirrel up.

Even the 17 hmr has gotten put on the third string for edible game, just tears the critters up a might to much.

On the small sage rats we have in the west..... the explosive effect is the part were looking for. The 17 wsm seems Taylor made for it. Just ordered a few more magazines for this year's spring hunt, hopefully can find some 20 and 15 grain options over the winter.

My issue with the 17 wsm is when you step up in size of critter. Although it could very well be a bullet construction issue, while it does do better on the fox/beaver size critters. It still doesn't leave me with with the same confidence the next jump in cartridge does. Although a tougher jacketed 25 grain offering may well be all that's needed. For now my 17 wsm will probably get a 3-18 and get practiced up for serious Squirrel annihilation.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 17 WSM's I own spend most of their time shooting sage rats in Eastern Oregon, pigeons , invasive dove's, starlings and anything else the has beaks or claws and is legal!! Great round when used within it's limits.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The .17 WSM is a special purpose cartridge useful on non-edible varmints. It way too destructive on game like Squirrels. Would have been better if Winchester made a: .22 WSM rimfire or .25 WSM instead of another .17 caliber.:rolleyes:
I think those would do a lot damage also, not dissing your opinion.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Thinking back, the introduction of the 17 wsm was in a similar climate of shortages, kinda came out of left field and surprised everyone. I still love it, although it does sadden me that the ruger is unobtainable and the vq summit never saw the light of day let alone the cancelation of the autoloader. The rimx offering an option certainly helps but it's going to be a minority willing to pony up that level of coin.

B23, I've got 1000 rounds sitting at my folks down south. I've just not been home since Feb 2020, and only 25 grain seems to make the alaksa barge. Cabelas won't ship to Ak stores or I'd buy 5 from them.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
PS new RimX in 17WSM should be here any day!!!!!!!!!! I am a believer in this round!
Who built it?

I know Greg w/Primal Rights has been having great results with the TS Customs built RimX 17WSM's.

In a rimfire there is no better than the 17WSM when it comes to PD's and ground squirrel chootin. I still have a couple HMR's and they're ok but from 100yds out the WSM has much better splat factor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I mainly use mine for Ohio groundhogs. I usually start off with a 22-250 but once the crops start getting a little tall, I have to shorten my shooting lanes. Makes no sense to blast a groundhog with a 22-250 at 100-150 yards. Other than the feeding my Bag shoots pretty well.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I mainly use mine for Ohio groundhogs. I usually start off with a 22-250 but once the crops start getting a little tall, I have to shorten my shooting lanes. Makes no sense to blast a groundhog with a 22-250 at 100-150 yards. Other than the feeding my Bag shoots pretty well.
Is it a rifle problem or the magazine?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts