Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my KIDD 10/22 in a Hogue tactical thumbhole stock for years without any issues. I recently purchased the Magpul X-22 but when I place the action in the stock the bolt will not operate. I searched online but do not see anyone else with this problem. I reached out to Magpul directly and awaiting a response.

I flipped the tray and even removed it entirely to see if it would help. I bought this stock on Amazon so the seller and the seller is no help, he says this is a Magpul warranty issue... take it up with the manufacturer.

Has anyone seen this before? What else can I do?

·
Premium Member
6,411 Posts
when you say the "the bolt will not operate"..do you mean the bolt won't go back far enough in it's travel to cock the hammer, it won't move at all, moves back about a half inch and stops, or what....can you be a bit more descriptive in what's going on?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when you say the "the bolt will not operate"..do you mean the bolt won't go back far enough in it's travel to cock the hammer, it won't move at all, moves back about a half inch and stops, or what....can you be a bit more descriptive in what's going on?
The bolt sticks, requires force to operate. If I lift it just a bit our of the stock it will function normally.

·
Premium Member
11,433 Posts
so it’s squeezing the receiver so tight the bolt cant slide back and forth?
Or is it sitting so deep the charging handle is being obstructed?
if its the latter , sand down the obstructing ledge on the stoclk.

·
Premium Member
6,411 Posts
The bolt sticks, requires force to operate. If I lift it just a bit our of the stock it will function normally.
yup, sounds like it's bound up..if the stock isn't squeezing the action so tight it won't operate at all, manually cycle the action a bunch of times and see if it creates some rub marks where the action is fouling on the stock...then relieve that area of the stock

if the stock is squeezing the action so tight that it's so hard to manually cycle that you can't do it, you either need to relieve the inletting with a little sanding, or replace the stock with another (this is what I would do if the stock can be returned/replaced)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup, sounds like it's bound up..if the stock isn't squeezing the action so tight it won't operate at all, manually cycle the action a bunch of times and see if it creates some rub marks where the action is fouling on the stock...then relieve that area of the stock

if the stock is squeezing the action so tight that it's so hard to manually cycle that you can't do it, you either need to relieve the inletting with a little sanding, or replace the stock with another (this is what I would do if the stock can be returned/replaced)
Reaching out to Magpul to return/replace the stock. lets see how they respond.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have had my KIDD 10/22 in a Hogue tactical thumbhole stock for years without any issues. I recently purchased the Magpul X-22 but when I place the action in the stock the bolt will not operate. I searched online but do not see anyone else with this problem. I reached out to Magpul directly and awaiting a response.

I flipped the tray and even removed it entirely to see if it would help. I bought this stock on Amazon so the seller and the seller is no help, he says this is a Magpul warranty issue... take it up with the manufacturer.

Has anyone seen this before? What else can I do?
A friend of mine had a similar problem. After much frustration and a call to Kidd it turned out that he had the little screws in the ends of the pins (that hold the trigger group in) too tight. They should just be very lightly snugged up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, that really interesting, I have 5 of the stocks, with no issues

is the Kidd receiver that much wider than a Ruger one?? Or is the stock deformed??
Doesn't
A friend of mine had a similar problem. After much frustration and a call to Kidd it turned out that he had the little screws in the ends of the pins (that hold the trigger group in) too tight. They should just be very lightly snugged up.
The action works fine in the old stock, this one just seems to be too tight to allow it to function.

·
Premium Member
11,433 Posts
Well if you dont want to sent it back , try this, take action out of stock , and pour boiling water over/ onto/ into e stock .Spray with wd 40 Put action back into hoy dri stock let cool . This might strerch the stock enough to let the action work.

But before you lobster the stock , try a different/ longer action screw.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I find it hard to believe that plastic stock can squeeze that rigid milled aluminum receiver enough to deform it. It’s only ‘squeezing’ at the bottom, where the receiver is supported by the trigger group.
If the stock was dimensioned to squeeze THAT hard I would think you couldn’t pry the action into it.
I suspect, as mentioned above, the cross pins are somehow getting in a bind and making something go wonky. I would try cross pins that are just a tad below flush to rule out that possibility.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FIXED!... Sitting around belly full of turkey and I just couldn't give up on fitting this stock. So, I removed the trigger housing and placed just the action in the stock and the bolt functioned normally. There was something binding the trigger. Looked the stock over and I see a small dimple where the hammer strut made contact. Pulled out my Dremel, removed some material and now she is running smooth. Not sure if this is a Magpul or KIDD issue, never the less... I am happy. Thanks all !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,411 Posts
FIXED!... Sitting around belly full of turkey and I just couldn't give up on fitting this stock. So, I removed the trigger housing and placed just the action in the stock and the bolt functioned normally. There was something binding the trigger. Looked the stock over and I see a small dimple where the hammer strut made contact. Pulled out my Dremel, removed some material and now she is running smooth. Not sure if this is a Magpul or KIDD issue, never the less... I am happy. Thanks all !!!!!!
that was going to be my next suggestion of things to check...well known issue, that some stocks need clearance for the KIDD hammer strut

1 - 14 of 14 Posts