Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Magnum Research CF question

611 14
I've had one of the Magnum Research "Magnum Lite" barrels for several years, and I'm curious about something - MR advertises the barrel not just as carbon fiber, but as being made of graphite. I don't see graphite mentioned when I read about any other CF barrels. Is the carbon in all such barrels graphite, or are there several types of carbon fiber, with MR being the only CF barrel using graphite? I wondered about that especially because the MR barrel seems to be the lightest one (13 ounces?) out there.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

34,843 Posts
Skeeter27red works with the stuff all the time so he may be able to answer it better but let me give it a shot. In the same way tha "fiberglass" varies as to type and density of fibers so does Carbon fiber. Some "fiber glass" uses just glass fibers and some use a glass and Kevlar blend and some use kevlar only. Some is straight carbon cloth and some use carbon/graphite cloth. I haven't seen it in a long time but I think in the early days some of the carbon also was blended with Kevlar which is an aramid fiber. Each blend of composites and of cloth thickness and weave gives you different properties.

How did I do Skeeter?

· Registered
4,297 Posts
Same thing

Carbon fiber, and graphite, are the same thing, using different terminology. Just like "Fiberglas" is "Fibers of glass", "Carbon Fiber", is fibers of Graphite. The big difference between a VQ Carbon barrel, and a MR Graphite barrel, is the "Liner". A MR barrel is essentially a WhistlePig barrel that uses Carbon Fiber composite lay-up, instead of aluminum. (A steel liner in a lightweight outer tube), where a VQ is essentially still a "Regular barrel" that has been turned down in outer diameter to accept a thin carbon skin, and then the skin is stressed lengthwise, creating a "Pre-tension" situation. I have seen how consistant a VQ HM2 barrel shoots, I have no experiences with a MR barrel. Both should work well, but for different reasons. Steel has a Modulus of 30, and Carbon has a Modulus of 18. Carbon is essentially Stardust, and every single element on the table of elements that make up the known universe, including you reading this, is comprised of Carbon.

· Registered
89 Posts
Skeeter27red said:
A MR barrel is essentially a WhistlePig barrel that uses Carbon Fiber composite lay-up, instead of aluminum. (A steel liner in a lightweight outer tube), where a VQ is essentially still a "Regular barrel" that has been turned down in outer diameter to accept a thin carbon skin, and then the skin is stressed lengthwise, creating a "Pre-tension" situation.
If I had known that, I would have bought a Whistle Pig looooooooong before now! :D I have no experience with the VQ barrel, but my MR barrel has been well worth the money.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great answers, gentlemen; many thanks for the info. Very informative. Let me display my ignorance further and ask a follow up question: "Steel has a Modulus of 30, and Carbon has a Modulus of 18." What's a modulus? Some measurement of molecular weight or some such?

· Registered
89 Posts
Main Entry: mod·u·lus
Pronunciation: 'mäj-&-l&s
Function: noun
Inflected Form: plural mod·u·li /-"lI, -"lE/
: a constant or coefficient that expresses usually numerically the degree to which a substance or body possesses a property (as elasticity)

· Registered
623 Posts
Xavier Breath said:
If I had known that, I would have bought a Whistle Pig looooooooong before now! :D I have no experience with the VQ barrel, but my MR barrel has been well worth the money.
Whistle Pig is definitely worth the $$$. I've yet to shoot my MR barrel yet. Hopefully by next weekend.

· Registered
10,095 Posts
Skeeter27red said:
every single element on the table of elements that make up the known universe, including you reading this, is comprised of Carbon.
I am no chemist, but if that were so, the elemental table would consist of one element - carbon. No other element is comprised of carbon. It is comprised of what it is... you can't cook Gold down to carbon. Isn't it true that carbon makes up every living creature, aka carbon based life forms?

In fact the definition of an element is: any of the more than 100 known substances (of which 92 occur naturally) that cannot be separated into simpler substances and that singly or in combination constitute all matter

The fundamental kinds of atoms that make up the building blocks of matter, which are each shown on the periodic table of the elements. The most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and helium. These two elements make up about 80and 20 % of all the matter in the universe respectively. Not carbon

· Registered
1,303 Posts
yea i have to disagree that every element is made up of carbon. All carbon compounds (organic compounds) have carbon in them. But i'd like to see anyone claim that helium(atomic weight 4 amu) was made of carbon(atomic weight 12). All elements are comprised of protons, neutrons, and electrons. And so at some level they are all similar, but carbon is a very specific number of neutrons and protons forming a nucleous with a very specific number of electrons in orbit around it.

Earth happens to have alot of carbon in various forms.

· Registered
4,297 Posts
Big bang theory

Read more, learn more, "Know" less. :t
Modulus is in reference to the application of the particular materials in question as they relate to being an intergal part of a pressure vessel. CF and Steel have different elastomeric qualities, i.e.- They do not expand and contract at the same rate, or the same amount. If utilized effectively, this aspect could help to harmonize the three main elements that you are trying to have "Come together" all at the same time=consistency. This is why people pay money for a barrel tuner, and why fore-end pressure can sometimes help. :t

· Registered
623 Posts
I think he was saying that the liners are a similar thickness, and that neither the Whistle Pig or MR barrels are tensioned like the VQ.

Seems like the "tensioned barrel" stuff is good idea in theory, but merely a sales pitch in application, especially with the way everyone praises both the WP and MR barrels. I would tend to agree, my WP barrel is one of the best purchases I've ever made. ;)

· Registered
95 Posts
xenophobe said:
I think he was saying that the liners are a similar thickness, and that neither the Whistle Pig or MR barrels are tensioned like the VQ.

Seems like the "tensioned barrel" stuff is good idea in theory, but merely a sales pitch in application, especially with the way everyone praises both the WP and MR barrels. I would tend to agree, my WP barrel is one of the best purchases I've ever made. ;)
My MR is great, its shorter, lighter, and shoots better than the factory parts. might have to try a WP. I am not a fan of VQ now (used to be when they were the only real name for aftermarket)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.