Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave my Magnum Research barrel a try yesterday with only one brand of ammo so far which was Wolf MT. I first shot at 25yds which did pretty good but then I moved it out to 50yds and the groups opened up a bit. At 50yds it's hard to see the little dot with the scope on 12X so that may have something to do with the poor 50yd groups. :eek: The rifle wieghs less than 6lbs.

How do other MR barrel owners like their barrel?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like mine. I never really shoot groups. I just put a Power Custom kit in my MR barrel gun and hope it will shoot better. My groups are bigger than yours, but I play around with targets and ammo, its not a bench gun its a walk and shoot gun, that punches paper before I walk and shoot. sorry i am not a big help (I would buy another MR barrel).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm confused are you complaining or bragging for a "regular guy" that shooting is great. Pretty much every shot was a squirrel head shot. most people except dedicated target shooters would be thrilled with that kind of shooting. I also have a MR and it is capable of sub half inch. and on a good day so am I, but not always, It can do it often enough so I know its my fault and not the barrel when groups open a little. You might consider having Randy do some bolt work. Try other ammos. Mine likes of all things, cheap CCI Blazers. You dont mention whats under the hood. How may rounds through it so far? have you played around with cleaning intervals? I never get the same shots between cleaning as some of these guys. and this varies greatly from barrel to barrel. btw very nice looking gun.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nofun1 said:
I'm confused are you complaining or bragging for a "regular guy" that shooting is great. Pretty much every shot was a squirrel head shot. most people except dedicated target shooters would be thrilled with that kind of shooting. I also have a MR and it is capable of sub half inch. and on a good day so am I, but not always, It can do it often enough so I know its my fault and not the barrel when groups open a little. You might consider having Randy do some bolt work. Try other ammos. Mine likes of all things, cheap CCI Blazers. You dont mention whats under the hood. How may rounds through it so far? have you played around with cleaning intervals? I never get the same shots between cleaning as some of these guys. and this varies greatly from barrel to barrel. btw very nice looking gun.
For a regular shooter like myself I was looking for better groups. Maybe I am expecting too much from myself. I am guessing the low power scope is contributing to the larger groups at 50 and also my poor shooting style for sure. :( I do need to try different ammo and I have less than 200 rnds down the tube. It has a great trigger but the bolt hasn't been reworked by Randy but I plan on sending it off in the future. I'll keep on shooting and experimenting and hopefully things will get a little tighter.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I haven't shot mine yet as my receiver and trigger group are off to CPC for some alterations... Mine is in .17mach2 though, but after seeing your groups, I'm sure I'll be more than adequately satisfied...

Ok, lets run with this: All your groups are clearly under 1". Your last few under .75" You've only fired one brand of ammo. You're not happy and you were expecting more?!?!? Hmm... Perhaps when you find the right ammo, you'll probably be averaging around .5"@50. That's very respectable, IMO.

The Acculite barrel is designed 1) for lightweight, 2) for accuracy. There is no respectable barrel that is any lighter. You also won't be getting in the .25" club with it often, or at all at 50.

If you're looking for a shooting closer to .25" (not a really realistic goal of just a casual shooter, IMO), you would probably be better off with a VQ THM. They are more accurate than the MR, but also weigh 3/4 lb more.

Send the bolt off to CPC and consider getting a Fine Duplex instead of the target dot. The power of your scope is fine, but if you're looking for consistent half inch groups, you'll probably need a little more power and a cool and calm day at the range.

Good shooting BTW. All your groups are under 1"@50. For a .22 LR, I think that's a good thing.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Try the "break in" process by cheif dave. Send your bolt to randy at cpc. Use sand bags or something very solid as a rest. And you need a more powerful scope. And the action needs to be beded securely and try different pressure points on the barrel. Do all that stuff and your groups will shrink.

good luck,
swampf0x

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am gonna start doing things one at a time and the first will be to send the bolt out to Randy. A bigger scope is in the future also. Test some more ammo and go from there.

I was using a Witchita rest and a rear bag for shooting.

·
Registered
624 Posts
MR's barrels are very accurate. mine will group 10 rnd's into .320" at 50yds, and 3/4" groups are fairly common at 100yds. my barrel will shoot most ammo well, but it has a definate preference for eley match EPS. someday i'll get my bolt headspaced and see if i can tighten up the groups just a tad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Magnum research barrel. I put a 20x scope on the gun and tried to see what it would do at 100 yards. There was a lot of variation with different ammo. It liked Wolf MT about as good as anything I tried, with about 2 out of 6 groups going a little under an inch. It also liked the expensive Eley EPS, but did very poor with the Eley Practice. It's in a Hogue stock, and I haven't played with any bedding tricks yet. I have a Barracuda stock on order, and we'll see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
I love my MRCF barrel. I was the first person I ever knew to get one so I was a guinea pig. Mine shoots everything I put in it under an inch and it shoots 3 or 4 hunting loads around 1/2".

For what it is, I think that is outstanding accuracy with hunting ammo! People have asked 'what will it shoot with____________?". I have never shot match ammo in it. I don't really care. It is not a match/benchrest barrel and never will be.

I personally am 100% satisfied with 1/2" accuracy out of a 10/22 that weighs a smidge over 6 pounds - it's got a pretty big scope on it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.