Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Magnum Bolt Replacement

672 14
Okay, thought I would ask if anyone else knows anything about this...... I was told Ruger will upgrade from the single extractor in my magnum to a dual extractor free of charge. Is this true? Do they replace the entire bolt when they do this (if they indeed do), or somehow cut another slot in the existing bolt? Wondering because I feel a new bolt would help my tired old magnum out. Of course I will have to put everything back to factory parts. I just bought a brand new factory barrel and stock from ebay for $35.00 shipped just for this purpose. I will just exchange trigger groups from one of my other 10/22's for this trip to the factory. Any light shed on this will be appreciated.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Light shed

Installing the second extractor is a complete waste of time. It won't improve anything, except your inability to shoot the rifle while it is gone forever. Tune your Magazine, re-profile your pin face, pin your pin, stretch your firing pin spring and perhaps most importantly, Moly Fusion your barrel, the ammo will cycle through your chamber about 1000% better, and your action will become a lot more reliable. A MAG only goes a few magazines before you gotta run a patch through the barrel, it's not like a long rifle where you shoot forever before cleaning. Same with HMR, and HM2, the chambers get "Gritted up" rapidly, and need a good muckin' often, especially for the first few hundred rounds from new. A 22MAG barrel will "Foul out" right about 100-120 rounds put through it, just like a clock striking Midnight.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is all good information and appreciated but I am still curious, do they replace the entire bolt, or somehow cut another groove in the original bolt for the second extractor? Doesn't mean I will send them my rifle in any case, I am just of a curious nature......

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Rimfire Addict said:
That is all good information and appreciated but I am still curious, do they replace the entire bolt, or somehow cut another groove in the original bolt for the second extractor? Doesn't mean I will send them my rifle in any case, I am just of a curious nature......
I have heard (no personal experience here) that they replace the whole bolt assembly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, this is what I have heard as well and I figured would be more cost effective to them as compared to labor for machining. I may go ahead and do it as my bolt has had at least 3 previous owners that have tried 3 different "staking" attempts. I have drilled and pinned the pin and all works well now but it looks battle scarred. I can always remove the second extractor, pin the new bolt, put my Volquartsen exact edge extractor in the "correct" slot, replace with my new A-2 firing pin, and be back to where I am right now and have a new bolt as well. Whew, that seems like a lot of work!!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Rimfire Addict said:
Thank you, this is what I have heard as well and I figured would be more cost effective to them as compared to labor for machining. I may go ahead and do it as my bolt has had at least 3 previous owners that have tried 3 different "staking" attempts. I have drilled and pinned the pin and all works well now but it looks battle scarred. I can always remove the second extractor, pin the new bolt, put my Volquartsen exact edge extractor in the "correct" slot, replace with my new A-2 firing pin, and be back to where I am right now and have a new bolt as well. Whew, that seems like a lot of work!!
I have a VQ extractor on the outside and I left the 2nd factory extractor in place. My bolt works fine & I'm at 2000+ rounds on this rifle.

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Chief Says : if I already bought the barrel to send in . I would do it.

This way you'll get a new barrel (w dbl extractor cut) , a new bolt , firing pin,
extractor. Ruger won't sell ya a bolt - so trade seems good deal.

CD.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info.

p7junkie said:
you can ship a rifle through UPS fed ex or the post office. it doesn't have to be shipped over night. I used USPS priority to send mine to Ruger. and they paid for the return shipping.
Mine will be going out next week by USPS Priority as well. Thanks for the heads-up. What was the turn-around time on yours by the way?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Rimfire Addict said:
They machine the bolt for the the second extractor, and replace the barrel. And then, and most importantly, they range fire the rifle with a close eye for function and overall performance, and do whatever is necessary to bring it up to standards.
Why do I know, you ask? Mine is there as we speak, having been held up awaiting a barrel, which has been on back order for quite a while. They had told me that the bolt had been modified and re-assembled with the new parts, and was awaiting a barrel. Got a call this morning telling me that the barrels arrived yesterday, mine will be assembled and tested this week, shipped back to me no later than first of next week.
I don't think Ruger would have been willing to go to all this expense if they didn't think it was necessary. After all, when I called them in the first place, I only asked what might have caused a first round missfire (which I have since learned was my own fault, for the way I was chambering that round). They asked if my rifle had two extractors and, when I said no, they requested that I return it for upgrade.
What I think is, if a person doesn't believe in Ruger, then why would they buy their guns? ;-)
eljay

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Believe in Ruger ? NO , you believe that you need one piece that Ruger makes.
" THE RECEIVER" everything else is trash. you buy a better trigger , barrel , stock , ect. YOU BELIEVE in Volquartsen " Ruger " is just a stepping stone.
that makes rules as you play the game.

·
Registered
275 Posts
ChiefDave said:
Believe in Ruger ? NO , you believe that you need one piece that Ruger makes.
" THE RECEIVER" everything else is trash. you buy a better trigger , barrel , stock , ect. YOU BELIEVE in Volquartsen " Ruger " is just a stepping stone.
that makes rules as you play the game.
To each his own. My rifle came back with a clean, just over three pound trigger, a new barrel that did 5/16 inch edge to edge groups at fifty yards this morning, and not a sign of any malfuction. As I said, to each his own, but I believe in Ruger.
eljay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.