Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been breaking in the action of my new Magnum & noticed that it could be alot smoother. I use Brownells Action Magic on my other 10/22s and it works great but is very messy. I've read in other posts about using silicone or teflon?? Anyone do this? And what do you do ? & Use? Thanks.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Dry Teflon!

Without a doubt!

:t :t

De-grease/oil that bolt......dry it......give it, and all it's parts, a light coat of "dry teflon".

You can get either Hoppe's, Rem Lube or even Black & Decker teflon spray.

"Slick as snot"!! and won't "gum-up" and an occasional tooth brush to the bolt-face, keeps it "residue-free".

I'm kinda a "fanatic" about cleaning, but, I can go a month or two before "re-doing" the bolt.

[edited to add:]

Teflon don't work in my ARs and Wilson Combat oil/grease don't work in my MAAGGNNUUMMSS.

I "experimented" alot!

GAWD! I LOVE this sport!

BWAHAHAHAHA!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Why would you ever....

want to throw good money after bad, 9x19? 'Tis already a lost cause. Don't think Teflon is gonna help the hummer. 'Sides, it's already a "slick willy" round!! :D :D :D

Zirc

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Dry Teflon is the hot ticket! I use stuff from work made by Kent Moore.

Ski, got one for you to try in your ARs ...... I know it sounds crazy but I've used it for quite a few years without a hitch even once. Get a bottle of Breakfree, let it seperate and poor off the kerosine so all thats in the bottle is the teflon goo, then add Mercury Quicksilver 2 stroke outboard oil. Your AR will clean itself as you shoot it, no more carbon buildup at all on your bolt! Just keep it away from locktite, the stuff will melt locktite!Saw a guy use it to close to his compensator, after a couple mags his gun started recoiling to the left, the comp was rotating off! Of course there shouldn't be a need for locktite on your ARs anyway.

·
Registered
815 Posts
GMC,

I don't know what the stuff is, or who really makes it.....quite frankly.....I don't give a "poop"!

I got a "tip" from John McCaw about the "Wilson Combat" Universal oil & Grease that he uses on his custom 1911's.

I won't use anything else, on my ArmaLite's!!

I tried "teflon"..Rem oil....etc....etc.....

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I may have to try the stuff then. I started using the other stuff about 10 years back and like I said its wonderful on ARs. The synthetic base of the 2 stroke oil breaks down carbon and has a higher load capacity than organic oils do. But anyway if you like what your using go for it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
GMCFixer...

The 2-stroke oil makes a lot of sense. As you suggest, it has detergent additives for breaking down/scrubbing burnt carbon deposits. These typically build up in the exhaust port, on the piston crown, and under the piston rings. I can see how it could dissolve powder residue carbon deposits on a bolt just as well.

Zirc

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
J.Solo said:
gmcfixer:
What is the proper mix ratio of Breakfree and the 2 stroke outboard oil? Thanks - J.Solo
I always just let a 4 oz bottle seperate then poured out the kerosine and filled it with the Mercury Quicksilver.

Dave Z.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.