Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Magazines Falling Out!

372 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  ek like whoa
Out of nowhere yesterday while shooting my stock 10/22 (other than VQ extractor and VQ extended bolt release) the magazines just started falling out while shooting. Happens on 3 different standard Ruger mags. Have had this rifle for about 7 years with nothing like this ever happening. Any ideas?
Thanks!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Magazine Latch Plunger

It sounds like the magazine latch plunger (Part B-36) is binding. You might check it by removing the magazine and then looking into the magazine well to observe its movement while operating the magazine release. If it's not moving freely, it probably just needs a good cleaning. Try using dry lube when reassembling. Oil tends to catch and hold any blowback residue and will eventually gum up the works.

· Registered
156 Posts
Hipshot said:
It sounds like the magazine latch plunger (Part B-36) is binding. You might check it by removing the magazine and then looking into the magazine well to observe its movement while operating the magazine release. If it's not moving freely, it probably just needs a good cleaning. Try using dry lube when reassembling. Oil tends to catch and hold any blowback residue and will eventually gum up the works.
Yes, that is why I run my plunger clean and dry, no lube except on the outer surface away from the cylinder that the plunger runs in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.