Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted here awhile ago about trouble with feeding - stovepiping, stuck empties, etc. Did the magazine service but still had some problems but not as many - so I went and bought a new Ruger magazine from the dealer - I checked the tension of the rotor - and my gosh was it stiffer than the original factory magazine ever was even after I performed the service (4 flats past the slack - which made it stiffer than when it was delivered) - so off to the range and not one jam with Stinger or Federal high velocity - I retentioned the original magazine to seven flats (after the spring slack takeup)and now it compares closer to the new magazine - now I need to test it at the range - but the point of all this is that Ruger should demonstrate alot more quality control on their magazines - when 10/22's first came out in the 60's you couldn't make one jam.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Out of all the 10/22 magazines I've handled (got 3 now, last 10/22 before that had 5 with it, doesn't include my brother's mags) I have one that I need to work on, the rest of them have worked flawless. I figure 1 of 8 (1 of 12 if you count the ones my brother has) really isn't great, but its better reliability than a Jennings! I don't see that big a problem, if you get one that needs a tune-up that takes little time and isn't a big deal.

Just thought of something ........ Hey Chief Dave, just how many 10/22 factory mags you got? What is the reliability rate?

Dave Z.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
O.K......

It's been awhile......so, many of you don't know.

Ruger uses what's called a "Fullfillment House" to assemble their magazines.

It's a place for the "handi-capped" to earn a living in a "workshop environement".

We used to make jokes about the "weakling" that wound up the rotor spring and the "gorilla" that tightened the housing screw, until we were informed of this "Fullfillment House".

One of our most respected members told us about this.

I, for one, don't mind "tweaking" my magazines, after learning about this.

btw,!! I don't believe that we are talking about Nike-style "sweat-shops", here.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Not Torqued Enough....! !

rifleman1,
With all slack removed, turn the cap four flats more to tension the spring. Push the cap into the mag shell, then tighten the screw. [Gunsmoke Engineering]
My recommendation has always been to add four more 'flats' for a total of eight (8) 'flats'...! ! :eek:

Tighten the through screw, and then back-it-off 1/8 of a turn...! !

"Ruger" quality: see ski's Post...! !

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Thanks BigMike, I forgot to mention the tuneup sticky and the additional 4 flats. Gotta keep you around since some of us are getting premature alzhiemers. I never bothered counting flats before, but just tightened it up till it just felt right, checked the ones I have now, Jody's was 5 flats, on mine one was 4 and the one that I hade already torn into was 7. So now I have a reference!

Dave Z.

Still curious about ChiefDaves mag supply, does he have a foot locker he keeps em all in? :D :D ...... Just kidding CD

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Gmc,

Even "Chief" don't know!

The subject was approached, before, and he hasn't been able to account for all of them.

"Mrs. Chief" has to check her oven, cooking pots, bed mattress.....

BWAHAHAHAHA!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.