Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I think Black Dog makes some for the SW..I know they make the 50 round drums for the 15-22 for sure..

But I have to ask..Why do you want others? The SW mags are one of the best things about the 15-22...I use them with my CMMG builds..Great mags..

·
Registered
222 Posts
There used to be, both promag and plinker tactical; but they were sued by S&W and don't make the mags anymore. S&W is sole source now. Only reason black dog got away with the 50rnd drum is it doesn't have a bolt hold open on the follower. (reason for law suit)

The problem with 15-22 mag availability is a lot of the 22 upper conversions can use them. Also the feed lips wear out quickly so high volume shooter have to replace them often. And it doesn't help that S&W only cranks up mag production when outside order reach a certain number. (Typical business practice)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Current prices are rough. S&W does make short magazines, and they are in stock in many places. These are all I use. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006307529
Zuk, clicked on the link and couldn't help notice the HUGE discount:rolleyes: that Midway is offering off of the "list" price of $24.00. They are selling them for $23.99:eek:
I mean, why bother to "discount" the price 1 cent?? I don't know what to make of that discount strategy... At least it says they are in stock:D

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
There used to be, both promag and plinker tactical; but they were sued by S&W and don't make the mags anymore. S&W is sole source now. Only reason black dog got away with the 50rnd drum is it doesn't have a bolt hold open on the follower. (reason for law suit)

The problem with 15-22 mag availability is a lot of the 22 upper conversions can use them. Also the feed lips wear out quickly so high volume shooter have to replace them often. And it doesn't help that S&W only cranks up mag production when outside order reach a certain number. (Typical business practice)
The S&W patent expires in eight years. It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket brings then.

Not an expert in this area, but the Promag and Plinker designs seem to have crossed the line by incorporating the follower "hook" that allows S&W to make an all polymer magazine body that's sufficiently rigid in the area of the lips.

I'd like to see a magazine that 1) is sized for AR lowers, and 2) has durable (i.e. not BDM Gen III) metal magazine lips. If the top of the magazine were steel, a slot behind the feed lips could be left open to allow the follower itself (rather than a hook) to press the bolt catch.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Zuk, clicked on the link and couldn't help notice the HUGE discount:rolleyes: that Midway is offering off of the "list" price of $24.00. They are selling them for $23.99:eek:
I mean, why bother to "discount" the price 1 cent?? I don't know what to make of that discount strategy... At least it says they are in stock:D
Is it that some promotion codes don't apply to discounted items?

They've still beaten Optics Planet, who list it at $31.

When I bought my last 10/22 magazines, they were $35 for three and they would probably not wear out for generations. $24 for a great magazine that I know I will wear out is harder to take.

·
Registered
203 Posts
PSA

Wish I'd see this thread a few days ago, I have some M&P 15-22 mags coming in from Palmetto State Armory for $32 a pop.
BTW, a search for 'MP15-22' only pulls up the rifle on Midway's site.
Search for 'M&P 15-22' to see their mags. At $23.99 that would have saved me 24 bux.
If Midway says they're in stock, they probably are. I used to get Walther/HK MP5-22 mags from Midway for $25 years ago when the only other source was HKParts.net for $50 a pop.

·
Registered
203 Posts
M&P 15-22 mags

I sent Palmetto State Armory a msg to cancel my order for 3 mags and ordered them from Midway instead. They had free shipping for orders over $115 so threw two pistol mags on sale for $116 total free shipping. My order from PSA for just three M&P 15-22 mags was $115. And Midway has already shipped & sent tracking info while PSA has yet to even respond to my request to cancel.
Normally I get decent service from PSA but after 9 days, if it's in stock, it should ship. Either they didn't have it or someone's taking too many naps on the bubble wrap. Midway has always been great with service, my bad for not searching their site more than once.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts