Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have need some info on mag barrels. I have a 77/22 blued and walnut it is the factory tapor barrel. I only get about .7-.8" 5 shot groups at 50 yards. Now i was thinking to get tighter groups i would maybe float or possibley pressure pad the front.. which is best? Next was a trigger job as it is still a factory trigger, it is a hunting gun so i was going to maybe have it taken down to 3# or so. Then my question is the difference between the drop in bull barrels, and the factory one. I would have to ream out the barrel channel to install a drop in. Now i realize an aftermarket barrel is much better quality, but i am concerned about the weight difference between the factory and aftermarket. When you hike a few miles hunting the pounds add up.

Also my question about the heavy barrels in general being used is that they are not just better quality, but the weight helps keep the recoil down and allow for better "follow through"?

Any other ideas. Also the scope is a bushnell sportview. My rest is pant legs filled with clean kitty litter.

Currently the gun is unmodified.

I dont think it is me, i can shoot .5" groups consistently with my cz.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief Says :

Ya got the right idea . Short .920 barrels on the 77/22
not only shoot good they look good too.
The 77/22 walnut stock can be easily routed out to accomodate
the larger diameter barrel.
The short bull barrels weigh about as much as the factory full
length contour barrel. Being short ( 16") makes the gun handle much better .
I have modified several . My choice of stocks is still the factory
checkered walnut.
GOOD LUCK . CD.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I like the facotry walnut also.

like he said short 920 barrels are the way to go.

one of these days ill toss heavy barrel on mine, Imn just not quite sure how to go about reaming out the stock. actualy use router or sand it out with dowel alittle under sized compared to the barrel.

2lbs in my opion is great weight for hunting plinkn trigger. mines 2.5 in my 77 and feels great. not to light and not realy heavy how ruger likes em

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief Says :
Power tools are good to remove some of the heavy wood on the
barrel chanl. Best to stop short and rasp , file and sand.
Best thing is to wrap the actual barrel with 1 sheet of sand paper for the final lap. If you dont like to take that chance , I
also have used the plastic sleave that the barrel came in.
Sockets " deep wall " type on a extension from your socket set
wrapped in sandpaper can aid in certain spots.

77 trigger mods. Buy just the aftermarket sear. ( VQ .) is good.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx chief

For your reply. You gave me alot to think about. I was thinking of just floating the factory barrel, and keeping the factory contour for a replacement .17 barrel. It seems tough to find a drop in barrel that isnt .920 in diameter. I am not experienced in this at all so i am going slow as the gun i will be modifing is the first gun i ever owned.

I hadnt considered lengths in the .920. I do think the heavy trigger is a problem, because i shoot better with my cz and its trigger is considerably lighter if all other things are close to equal ( i use same range setup for both). But sanding out the barrel to accomodate .920 going with short barrels and putting in a vq sear sounds like a plan. Now all i have to do is save up.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
That's OK Sharkman

sharkman8810 said:
Uh oh, i said .17, that is a "little bullet" in the MAGNUM FORUM i hope ski doesnt see this or i will be on KP again.
Ski knows he is way 'behind' when it comes to the 17HMR. :D

But we can always hope he will come around. :D

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uh oh

I now came into a not so minor difficulty. I was off using this gun to shoot woodchucks with, and its poi was way off. I take it back home to the range and shoot it, and it was about 4-5 inches off. I can get it sorta close, but the poi from mag +v and winchester supreme, and regular maxi mag hp seems to be all the same, and that is wrong. Groups were bout 1" at 55 yards (5 shots)

Also i was at times able to see "double" bullseye's and it seemed to lose focus. The scope is a bushnell sportview 3-9. I think it is a "deer getter" type of scope, i bought it and i didnt know anything bout scopes at the time. Any way i think it is dead. I need to find a scope for on it before i do anything else. Any ideas on a scope to put on it? The funds are real low, All i use it for is hunting and if i can survive with a bushnell sportview just about anything will do.

edited 7/4 to add

The problem started after takeing the gun out of the stock to clean and check for rust on underside of barrel. Are these problems also symptoms of not getting the barrel rebedded in the stock properly?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.