Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right every body I need your help!!! Got a new Marlin 917M2S Mach 2 and just love it :D . Went to the local gun shop's today to see if any of the three shop's had any other M2 ammo beside's Hornady(the Hornady shot super good, just wanting to shoot some other ammo). Got told by all that they would not be getting other M2 ammo and once the Hornady ammo is gone there would be no more :( . The reason,, the rifles that have been sold by all 3 gun shop's have been return and traded back in on anything but the M2 because the M2 won't kill any type of game, even small birds like black birds and so on. I find this BULLS#$% very hard to believe :1t Has any body out there done any hunting with the M2 and if so what kind of results did you get!
Thanks
.22LongRifle :Blasting_

·
Registered
814 Posts
My neighbor took out my NEF 17HM2 to shoot Sage Rats. He came back calling it a "killing machine". He now has 8 boxes of ammo and is just trying to decide which brand gun to buy.

My daughter shot a big squirrel at 50 yds with 17HM2 - not really even very sporting at that range - dropped it in it's tracks.

I agree with tweak'e - go educate the gun shop guys and then shop somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
maybe if they back away,,,,,,

from the ground squirrels about a mile or so.
Just got back from a week in Montana,,shot everyday for about 8 hours. 6 guys,,,12,000 acre ranch,,two 4WD Suburbans, FIFTEEN guns. I was able to try a friend's 10/22 rifle in 17 Mach II for a couple of hours and shot around 50 rounds at Richardson ground squirrels. Being an experienced builder and shooter of 17 caliber rifles,[17 Ackley Hornet my favorite] I was prepared to NOT like the Mach II, beleiving my 17 Ackley Hornet and 17 HMR rifles were 'all' the gopher rifles I needed. Well, I was SUPRISED at how powerful the Mach II rounds were on the sage rats,,,and NOW am thinking I may not even bring 22LR Rugers next year. The 17MachII is QUITE the gopher popper, and I recommend you try it. The 6 of us shot around 8,000 rounds during the week [actually have not counted yet,,but it's close], and my shooting test of the Mach II was a comparison made just minutes away from shooting my 22LR, 17HMR, and 17 Ack. Hnt., so I think it was a very relative, good test. Although I was prepared to do away with any future use of the Mach II, I now am looking to using it some more......it POPPED gophers MUCH more than the 22LR Hollow point ammo, and was not too different [if at all] from those targets shot with the HMR. Go figure.
Alan in GA.

G

·
I beg to differ

There is a wheelbarrow load of dead Pa. groundhogs that would attest (if they could) to the killing power of the MII. I am very much enjoying this little rifle and I have no tolerance for poor performance.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had to shoot a crippled cat a couple weeks back, a BIG cat.

Was hit by a car and in a bad way. It was wild and could move well enough to keep moving away from me. Wouldn't set still enough for me to take a humane shot if I got closer than 30 yards or so... Finally, at about 40 yds. I put one in his boiler-room, He dropped dead, literally. Bullet went in behind the left front leg, right into chest cavity. Blew up nicely with lots of lung and heart damage. Now, if it had hit the shoulder, doubt it would have been a quick kill.

Cat weighed almost 15 pounds, and only reason I used the hm2, was it was all I had with me. Wasn't planning on doing this and if I had my druthers, I'd have used a centerfire, or at least a 17Hmr. I'm using a 10 pound limit, on groundhogs, under 100 yards. So far every one, I've hit, (4), were one shot kills. Headshots out to 100 yards. Just a common sense approach to a fun, and accurate little round.

My next gun is gonna be a .22 short 10/22 with a red dot or scout style scope. I'm gonna trick it out for shooting large evil grasshoppers and other smallish vermin.. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
yeah thats bull

I just bought a brick of CCI from Natchez and a brick of Hornady from Midsouth. Id never buy from a gun shop around here as they are charging $2-5 more per box then what I paid for it online.

·
36,633 Posts
Somebody posted some rather gruesome pictures here of ground squirrels that were all but torn in half. At LEAST the damage that I would expect from a Stinger and really a bit more. I've killed some critters with 17 cal AIRGUNS with less than half the velocity and lighter projectile. Too bad those idiots aren't gonna make any money on the Mach2 :D

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
wellllllllllllllllll

maybe the gunshops said that cause they wanna sell there 22s or maybe they just dumb but ive killed a lot of game with it and never had a problem.
i was talking to a friend and he was telling me he shot a rabbit and it hopped off after being hit with a mach 2 but when he finally told it all what happened was he hit the ground in front of it.
this round moving at the speed it does will kill and its takes a fool to believe other wise, next time ask the shop dummies how a pellet rifle can kill but this can't.
u still got to hit em and not expect it to kill to large a animal.
it replaced my 3 22s i use for squirrel hunting .
david

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
yea, guys, wont kill anything ??

havent "stretched" out anything yet, but my backstops are made of two pieces of 1/2"
plywood screwed together and the HM2 @ 100yds will penetrate both of them. heck of a small lil' round. pretty quiet compared to the HMR and the 22 mag. works great for a $200 conversion. luv it. lol, have put the GM ss fluted sporter on ice for now. this HM2 is too much fun @ 100 yds+ and with a decent power scope can see the holes. what more can a guy want ??
for the heck of it, got a bunch of gophers running around the front porch from 25 - 80 yds. maybe i'll pop one and see if the HM2 will do it and what kinda damage.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
These folks that made this statement ought to shot with one of these and see what kind of damage it does, what a crock of incredibly stupid BS! Here is a link to a thread I posted here a while back with links to photos of a gutted squirrel I shot at 110 yards. 110 yards, not 50 feet, and I have killed a crow also, at about 80 yards, it left a hole completely through and a 1.5'' exit hole. Read down further and you'll find quite a few links and photos showing just exactly what the .17M2 will do. This is the kind of rumour starting foolishness that uninformed ignorant dope salesmen at gun shops get going. They probably think you need a .340 Weatherby to kill a deer too. Retards :rolleyes: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88035

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
personally, i think these "gun" shops that sell more athletic shoes should hire ole' farts like us who know what is going on. example; got a ruger single six recently, went to pick it up, tried the trigger out, was real light, made a comment to the MANAGER as to how light it was. he said, "is that good"?? HELLLLLOOOOOO!!!..........small town, but still, this is cowboy country, where guns are a part of life, or am i missing sumpin ??

·
Registered
203 Posts
The 17 HM2 CZ Varmint rifle w/4-12 X Burris scope that I have is a fun little rifle . During the month of May I shot 359 prairie pups with it. Most of the shots were between 25 and 85 Yds. The 17 Gr. V-MAX bullet opens up better than the 22 LR HP bullets at those ranges ( more tissue damage) and is flatter shooting. For shots over 85-100 Yds. I used the 17 HMR Cooper LVT rifle .

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
.22 LongRifle said:
I find this BULLS#$% very hard to believe :1t Has any body out there done any hunting with the M2 and if so what kind of results did you get!
Thanks
You are right to be skeptical. Your dealer is full of it, either he has an agenda of some sort, or is ignorant of the facts. My 17HM2 has not failed to kill every jackrabbit I have so far pointed it at with zero misses so far.

Lovin' 17HM2 so far. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Shot 5 chipmunks(they are plentiful here this year) yesterday with my converted 10/22 to .17hm2 and all were one shot kills from 30 to 80 yards. I have used my Marlin 17HMR also but I think I like the HM2 better for this task.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
.22 LongRifle said:
All right every body I need your help!!! Got a new Marlin 917M2S Mach 2 and just love it :D . Went to the local gun shop's today to see if any of the three shop's had any other M2 ammo beside's Hornady(the Hornady shot super good, just wanting to shoot some other ammo). Got told by all that they would not be getting other M2 ammo and once the Hornady ammo is gone there would be no more :( . The reason,, the rifles that have been sold by all 3 gun shop's have been return and traded back in on anything but the M2 because the M2 won't kill any type of game, even small birds like black birds and so on. I find this BULLS#$% very hard to believe :1t Has any body out there done any hunting with the M2 and if so what kind of results did you get!
Thanks
What a heap of of "bovine scatology". ANY gun shop owner who would say such a thing is one to be avoided. If said person/s in the gun business has no more practical knowledge or common sense than make such a statement, he has NO credibility in ANYTHING firearms related, IMO.

Sounds more like someone who has a boatload of .22 RF on hand and can't unload it and an attitude to boot. I would expect such comments from most wallyworld and/or Dicks sporting goods sales people but not from a private shop owner. Simply amazing...! :coco:

Ron

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.