Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally ignorant on Kimber of Oregon rifles. I own a new Yonkers Kimber Hunter. I found a Kimber of Oregon M82 Super America, serial # SA56x, with iron sights and a Leupold VariX-II 2-7 compact scope mounted in what may be Conetrol rings. The rifle is in VG+ condition. I put a .042" go gage in the chamber to check the headspace, and the bolt would not close on the go gauge, meaning it's got tight headspace. It's a consignment rifle for $1350 plus tax. Does anyone have an idea as to when this rifle was made, and is this a fair price? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. TIA. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi Bob,

Super America Intro date:Jan.26,1982...They are classified as "Pre 1985", and "Post 1985". Pre '85 production was 407 rifles in .22 LR. As of January 1,1985 the comb flute on left hand side of cheekpiece was eliminated, the round receiver became dovetailed,and the double lever quick detachable scope mounts were replaced with non detachable mounts.

It follows the rifle in question is an early "Post '85".
This info is from the Kimber Enthusiasts & Collectors Manual written by Paul Eaton.

Sorry, I can't help on the value.

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
My Super America has a match chamber that when you chamber a round you can actually feel the bullet engrave into the rifling. If you remove an unfired round you can see the marks on the bullet. I suspect your chamber is the same. As far as price, it does depend on wood quality to some degree. Is there lots of figure in the stock, does it have an ebony tip? Condition is a big deal too. Use a Blue Book and use their system to get a good evaluation. If the wood is really nice, has a tip and the condition is excellent, like 95% ++, the price you quoted is OK, not great. Are you sure the rings aren't Kimber rings? Do they have side levers and split vertically? Does the front sight have the hood? Is the rear sight mounted on a 1/4 rib? The rib ads some value.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.