Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hopefully I'm not violating any forum rules by tagging on to this post, but I think there's sufficient crossover to be relevant.

I have a Tippmann M4-22 Elite and Rifle, very pleased with both, especially because they cycle any ammo I've ever tried. Reported my first complaint on this forum earlier this year, that extracting a live round with the charging handle almost never worked. Tippmann warranty service dealt with that by sending me two new bolts, supposedly redesigned. Neither one solved the problem, so I sent in the Elite and they returned it after finding the barrel out of spec, updated the bolt to the newest design, and updated the buffer assembly. Unfortunately, the problem still hasn't been fixed.

Recently installed a Magpul BAD device on each firearm. Love them, except that the one on the rifle won't allow the last round function to lock the bolt open when firing. If I insert an empty mag and open the bolt with the charging handle, it locks the bolt back and releases as designed with the BAD.

I understand that Tippmann isn't responsible for how aftermarket additions function on their firearms, and that the BAD wasn't designed for .22 LR versions of AR-15 designs, but the users of this forum really helped me with these earlier issues, and I learned that I need not worry that Tippman warranty service won't continue to support me.

I'm also having a mag problem, in that the internal mag binds up in the outer shell when removing or installing it. If any one can suggest a way to fix that, thanks in advance.

W.H. McIntosh
LtCol USAF (Ret)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, the OP's complaint is failure of the last-round-bolt-hold-open function.

When charging handle fails to extract a live round in a competition at the end of a stage, the SO's allow me to fire the round into the berm. I have some of the Steelworx metal rounds, and I'll try them today. My Elite hasn't yet been cleaned since a range session yesterday, and if the powder build up you mention is the culprit, maybe I can duplicate the problem and identify the cause.

To clarify, you are suggesting that the powder build up might be preventing the extractor from grabbing the lip of the unfired round?

Which brings to an issue I need to address, which is how best to clean the M4s in terms of products and steps. A gunsmith mentioned that I might be running the firearm too dry. If you have any suggestions, I'd be very interested.

As for the magazine tolerance issue, I finally had to remove some material from the upper and lower catches, then recently began using a Dremel to remove material from the edges of the insert. This has helped a lot, and I'd also like to try some silicone.

Thanks one more time for the benefit of your expertise and willingness to share.

One final thought for now, which is a wish for a speedloader for these magazines.

Tosh

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Spray 'blaster' type cleaner (large spray can sold at Walmart for around $8) around in breech area, focusing on getting rid of debris buildup."

To clarify, does this refer to Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.