Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Sirs,
I picked up this 10X Lyman Junior Target Spot today at a local antique shop. I already had blocks on my 8/1940 Remington 513-T so I threw it on there.

The finish is a little worn in spots but the optics are clear.

I've got a few questions.

1. When were these scopes made?
2. Approximate value of this type scope?
3. Most importantly, does anyone have any directions on how to use the adjustable objective?

Thank you,
Rob

·
X-Mod
19,560 Posts
Very nice find!

I'm not expert on these scopes, but I find them interesting. I wish I had one. ;)

Here's a post from another site with some good history/specs.
Brian, the first Lyman target scopes were the Targetspot 8X and 10X. They were introduced in 1934 and came equipped with Bausch & Lomb lenses. The Targetspot had a 1 .125-inch objective lens which was adjustable for parallax and an ocular lens which was adjustable for focus. Lyman provided screw-on metal lens caps to protect the lenses when not in use. The Junior Targetspot Scope was introduced in 1937, it was available in 6, 8 and, 10 powers. Stroebel's excellent book on scopes lists the following technical data for the the Junior Targetspot:

Magnification 6X, 8x or 10X
Field of view 16.0- 12.0 feet at 100 yards
Luminosity 11.6-3.0
Eye relief 2.0-1.875 inches
Length 24.375 inches
Weight 25.0 ounces
Tube diameter 0.750 inch (1.34375-inch objective)
Production of the Junior Targetspot ended in 1957 Stroebel lists value for this model at $225 to $325 depending on condition. Add $50 if the scope comes with the original wood or metal case. Marc
By your last pic the objective is set over 200 yards, if you turn it down furter you will start to see additional lines denoting other ranges. The 100 yard mark is close and you'll notice 50 and 25 are spaced further. I'm not sure exactly how many revolutions it takes to get to each mark and and it seems to me that the value of the 1-25 marks on the objective must change value after each mark, unless I'm missing something. :eek:

Have fun with it!

Oh, by the way, small world. :)

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oooohhhh,,now I see the other markings on the objective end..very cool.

Thank you for the info, I guess I paid a decent price for it.

Funny to see that we live in the same small town too.:)

Thanks again and take care.
Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.