Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Lyman 57ES, for Model 67?

2692 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Alaninga
Need some advice!
I have read following (on a Lyman 57ES original box):
Winchester: 67, 68, 72, 74, 75 Sporter
Remington: 550
Receivers with diameters 61/64 and over

But the Model 67 receiver is only about 55/64 in diameter.
So Lyman write both, Yes it will fit Model 67 and No it will not fit Model 67.
Is the Model 67 receiver to small in diameter for Lyman 57ES?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
512 Posts
First let me say I don't have the box to read but Model 67's, 68's and 74's are not tapped for any type of side reciever sight. New holes wouldneed to be tapped and IMO the cost is not worth doing that to an already inexpensive gun. The only guns I've ever seen mounted with a 57E / 57ES is the Model 75.

Greg

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Greg!
My eyes do not like the original sights anymore. To continue shoot this single shot I need to improve the sights.
I was little concerned about Lyman 57ES having a bigger radius than the receiver on the Model 67. I guess it will not fit the Model 67 properly.

· Registered
653 Posts
The Lyman 57ES will fit on a 67, but it messes with the safety. You have to either bend or file down the safety so it will fit under the sight. Alaninga is right about a Lyman 55W. It fits well and is a slick little sight. It was also made to fit the 67.

Greg is also right about needing to d&t the barrel or receiver for these sights. Generally you also have to modify the stock by cutting out a bit so the sight fits.

Finally, for the 57ES you'll most likely need a higher front sight. Often guys would put a Lyman 17A MI on the front, but anything that height would work. I THINK that with the 55W, the profile is low enough to keep the same front sight, but I could be wrong about that.

Rob

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help!

I been searching for a Lyman 55W for a long time, almost give it up, my corner of the world is far, far away from the land of Lyman. Still I think your advice to find a Lyman 55W is wisely, so I continue my search, some day…

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

· Registered
1,634 Posts
Thanks....

I studied the sight and the section in my book on sights....and I believe this might be the "55RWS". It looks as though the site is labelled 'R55W S' and the letters are just stamped where they can be fit when made at factory. A 55RWS is listed in the book, and those letters are seen stamped on the site base if not in order, at least 'there'.
The book lists this sight [55RWS] as fitting the "Winchester 67 [alter safety]"....and I'm not sure what they mean by that.
I have a Win 60 with no safety that it would probably fit, but will pass on this sight for now.
Anyone that wants it is of course, surely welcome to have at it!
It would be nice if it could be test fitted to a 67 and a 60, especially to see if the safey lever on a 67A interferes with something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.