Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new rifle yesterday, and I'm going shooting on Saturday. My question is, do I need to lubricate the action? Also, I was at Outdoor World (like Toys R. Us for hunting/fishing/etc.), and I saw this gun cleaning solvent that cleans and lubricates in one package (It looked a lot like the carb cleaner I have sitting in my toolbox outside. I think the manufacturer was "Birch wood" or "Birch Tree" or something like that). Is a cleaner/lube in 1 ok to use on my rifle? I know I have to get a bore brush also, but I mainly want to make sure my .22 is in top condition for my 1st day at the range and that I take care of it well.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

XXL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Won't removing the lubricant cause the metal parts to wear faster? I would think that lubricant would reduce wear and keep everything moving nicely. I know that too much lube will foul up the cartridges, but I would think that a little would help things slip 'n slide. Plus, the owner's manual tells me to keep things lubed :p I'm so used to keeping everything lubricated on my car that this seems kinda wierd. Since lubricant isn't necessary, could I just go ahead and buy that 2-in-1 cleaner/lube in the spray can and a bore brush?

Thanks for helping me out!

XXL

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Matt,

popular opinion is not to lube, or lube very little. The bolt will gum up if you lube it.

also, the popular opinion is to not use a bore brush (this goes both ways, some guys say yes, some no) but if you do, make sure you go the direction that the bullet travels. I prefer the snakes over the rods, that's just me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi, clean gun using Hoppe's or your favorite gun cleaner . I use Super-lube dri film lubricant on the bolt . Bolt slides great and doesn't gum up at all. Have shoot about 300 rounds since last cleaning and still going strong. I do however use weed wacker and patch with Shooters Choice Lead Remover after every session on the barrel . No brushes except small nylon 1 for the chamber .........WVleo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to go to Outdoor World and pick up some of that bore cleaner in the spray can, a nylon brush, and some dry lube (I can't bring myself to NOT lube the gun - if it gums up, I'll publicly apologize to you guys :D )

I'm going shooting in about 24 hours. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

XXL

·
Registered
38 Posts
What I did with my 10/22 when I first bought it, I degrease it completely and wiped it down till there was no grease left from the MFG, then I use dry graphite powder, works great and don't cause quick fouling like oils do, you just have to know where to put it, look at all the moving parts and were they rub and look for wear, apply there as well, use lightly goes a long way, . Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
131 Posts
ANY type of lube(wet or dry) made my Savage semi auto jam. On the Ruger I just let it fire dry. Out of 500 rounds I got 2 jams.

My Ruger had heavy amounts of Ruger lube onthe trigger group and inside the action. I removed it all and never had any jamming problems since new.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Remember you always need some sort of lube on moving parts or you will wear your action out broski, metal on to metal is not good, Im talking for the most part semi's...Unless you have polymer parts rubing agest metal, like glocks, there is a small amount of wear to the poly not much. I still put a small amount wear parts meet and rub. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.