Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Lowering the noise

2380 Views 22 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Cujet
I am shooting my 10/22 into a target mounted on a steel trap designed for .22 ammo. Besides the shot itself, the trap makes an infernall sound when hit with a bullet.

How would I go about minimising the noise? Would it help if I glue some kind of material outside the steel trap to absorb sound and vibrations? Any other ways to reduce sound?

Would 10/22 cycle properly with subsonic ammo? If not, what is the quietest ammo I could use?

V.
1 - 1 of 23 Posts
You can glue some of the rubber backed commercial carpet tiles to the outside of the unit. I've done this before on steel wheel chair lift doors that really made a noise when the clanged closed. It was amazing on how the rubber backed carpet silenced the noise--and it looked good too!! Works similar to the silencer on a bow string by absorbing the vibrations. I have no idea of the legality of shooting in your city--but I wouldn't think it'd be illegal to glue carpet to a bullet trap? Still you may want to check--it's legal in sticksville, where I prefer to live.
1 - 1 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.