Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as a decent quality low-priced (below $200) scope for the rimfire?

Which scope models are absolute crud and should be avoided at all costs?

·
Registered
103 Posts
scopes suggestions

Most will say to pretty much avoid anything "Made in China".

Look through some of the recent posts in this forum....this topic has been discussed in a lot of detail lately.

SWFA (www.riflescopes.com) has the Simmons WTC18 on sale, below wholesale, for $99.95 + shipping right now. Very popular scope with most everyone here. I love mine, and you just cant even come close to beating it for the money.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Inexpensive Scopes

Zip06,

Yes, there is such a thing as a decent low priced [ < $200.] scope for the rimfire......! ! :)

There are the "Simmons" 22 Mag series, from a simple 4X all the way to the 1022T [3 - 9X 32mm AO]; the "Weaver" R4 and RV [2.5 - 7X 28mm]; the "Bushnell's"; and the "Leupold" 4X Rimfire Special. There are also several very good 'target' type scopes like the "Simmons" 44 Mag series [#1045, #1047, & #1048], the "Weaver" KT-15, and the "Simmons" WTC18 [6.5 - 20X 50mm AO].

However, we really need to know your intended use(s) to make a more specific recommendation....... ;)

Scopes to be avoided:
"BEC", "BSA"* [current], "Leapers", "Nc Star", "Tasco"* [current], and anything "Made In CHINA"...........! ! :( :(
[ * There are a few exceptions]

Also, avoid the generic Mart type scopes ["DeerGetter"], as they are designed for centerfire rifles, and as such, are focused for 100 to 150 yards, and will have parallax at normal rimfire ranges.

Let us know your intended use, and we'll try to narrow the field.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Zip06,

In your case, I would recommend the lower power ranges for their wider field of view for hunting and being generally brighter:

The "Simmons" 22 Mag's or "Weaver" Rimfire's would fit the bill:
SN1022: Simmons 22 Mag 4x32mm Rimfire Rifle Scope @ $29.95
SN1039: Simmons 22MAG 3X9X32 W/22 RINGS @ $54.94
SN1022T: Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x32mm AO TARGET @ $104.95
WE849430: Weaver R4 RIMFIRE 4X28 @ $89.95
WE849431: Weaver RV RIMFIRE 2.5-7X28 @ $99.95

All the above from "Natchez";
http://www.natchezss.com/index.html

Good Luck..... :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sounds like you're looking for an all around scope.

BigMike listed some really good scopes:

- 1047 & 1048 Simmons 44mag series.....nice scopes for target and plinking. The 1048 has target turrets. SWFA has them on sale right now.

- Simmons WTC18 [keep in mind, it is a big one!] 50mm Obj. lens. $99.95 - SWFA

- Weaver KT-15 is very nice, but its a fixed power.....some people prefer that though [less moving parts!]. $189 - Natchez

- For just a little over $200 you can pick up a Weaver V16 [$229] or a Weaver V24 [$259] REALLY nice scopes!! Wish I had one!!- (Natchez has them but SWFA will match the $ if you call them.....and they're a sponser of RFC!!!!)

I dont know much about the ".22mag" or "Rimfire" models, sorry.

Again, just try to avoid the Chinese made scopes!.......yuck!!......:eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big Mike / Finnde - Three questions on the selected models you recommend:

First, Which do you think are the most rugged/durable.

Second, Do you think the target scopes are flexible enough for hunting/plinking?

Third, Is the AO that much of a benefit for it to be the tie breaker?

·
Registered
103 Posts
A BIG YES! The A/O is cirtical unless you want to readjust your scope either yourself [can be done] or by sending it in to the factory to be readjusted for 50yrds (the standard target range for 22lr). Yes, you can shoot, and be accurate with a 22lr at 100+ but............you're probably going to be at 50 or less yards for most 22lr hunting, plinking, etc.

Nearly all "rifle / hunting" scopes without an adjustable objective [A/O] are set to 100yrds from the factory. A rimfire rifle [22lr] has an "optimal" or "common" range of 50yrds or less. For shooting at less than 100yrds, you WILL need an adjustable objective to correct for parallex. (parallex, is a whole can of worms - do a search for a definition of parallex, or maybe someone better at explaining can breif you here...) In short, parallex will throw off your POI (point of impact) at distances greater or less than that of the setting. If you have an adjustable objective, your accuracy can be GREATLY improved upon by simply adjusting for the correct distance at which you are shooting thus, adjusting to correct parallex. Basically, it will just give you a MUCH more versatile and accurate scope if you are concerned with accuaracy, which I assume you are being you want a scope in the first place.

As far as the most rugged........hmmm......the only thing I can really think to tell you there is both the Simmons 1047 and 1048 as well as the WTC18 have a "Black Granite" matte finish (scratch resistant, not gloss blued.....

The Weavers we mentioned are both "Matte" and I suppose scratch resistant.

Not sure about the "Rimfire" and "22mag" models that BigMike mentioned......havent seen 'em.

As far as holding a zero, I'd say that falls into the whole quality issue.....I'd bet that all the previously mentioned scopes perform fairly equally in that regard.....they are all very good quality scopes. So far, even my super cheapy Bushnell Sportview [bought for $30 bucks a few years ago] has held a zero on my airgun. It just kinda depends on what you get I suppose......again, for this issue, and many others, I'd still say you would be safe to stay away from Chinese optics. ;)

BUT GET THE A/O!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
For general use you might want to think about the size and weight of the scope. Some of the scopes mentioned are pretty big. I have a Simmons 1048 that I like very much but it kindof dwarfs the gun (CZ 452 Special). If I were hunting squirrels I might go with something in the 3-9x32 like the 1022T or one of Simmons ProAir series. Some of the 6x target scopes might interest you also - Weaver, Leupold, Sightron, and Burris make them - AO, target knobs, etc. but not too big or too heavy. If you like to compete many of the hunter classes prohibit magnification above 6x anyhow.

·
Banned
249 Posts
I have a Bushnell 6 X 18 AO Trophy for sale. Excellent shape and very slight to no ring marks. $140.00 and I'll pay shipping to 48 states. I'll throw in some rings if I have the ones you need.
mad`

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have several rimfire scopes and will have to say the Simmons 1022T is the best of the lot that I own. I am comparing that to the Burris Compact 3-9X32PA and Weaver 2.5-7X28 and like the 1022T by far the best.
Regards,
Rich

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Zip06,

If it's a 10/22, the standard scopebase (dovetail) that comes with the gun would be okay for a smaller, lighter scope. If you think you might get a larger scope in the future or just want a little more stability, think about the Weaver TO-9 base. It is a "Weaver style" and much wider than the stock 10/22 dovetail base. Goes for around $5.00. VQ and Power Custom have bases too but they are a bit more (around $30.00)....again, assuming you are talking about a 10/22?

If you go with the Weaver base, just make sure you buy "Weaver Style" rings. Burris Zee rings are really nice, Weaver rings are nice (what I have) but the Weavers are a bit wide....especially if you have a smaller scope.

If you keep the dovetail, you'll need dovetail rings.....I've got a set of silver matte Millet rings (decent rings, not spectacular) in perfect cond. I will give you if you want. I switched my 10/22 to the TO-9 mount with Weaver rings. The Millets are size "high" by the way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ZipO6, I have the Simmons 10/22T mounted on top of my 10/22. At first I used the Burris Signature Zee rings and a Millet base to mount the scope. Note, The Weaver TO-9 base will not work with the Burris rings because the base is not tall enough. I found that out the hard way. With the Millet base and the Burris rings installed, the scope sit too high above the rifle's bore. One reason for this is because the Burris Signature Zee rings are not available in low height.

Finally, I bought a Weaver TO-9 base and a set of Weaver low detachable top mount rings(DTM). This works perfect for the Simmons 10/22T target scope. It's as close to the barrel as one would need. The scope dust caps that came with the Simmons will not fit anymore because it so close to the barrel. The Simmons lens covers are really on the thick side anyway, so I believe I will be able to install a set of Butler Creek lens covers, but I have not got around to it yet. DW

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finnde - Thanks for the offer on the rings. However, yesterday I ordered from Brownells, the TO-9 base and the Weaver DTM rings (low mount).

The post from DW makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I was trying to reason out my options. Generally, my methods are flawed but DW already learned a lesson I nearly opted for. The Burris rings have wonderful reviews on this board but I opted for the DTM's. Sounds like they will work fine.

Yes, its a 10/22 and I am really looking forward to getting this rifle on line.

·
Registered
443 Posts
A lot of folks recommended the Simmons WTC 18. This is definitely an excellent scope for the money, but I consider it a target or varmint scope rather than a general purpose scope.

One reason is the parallax adjustment on this scope. AO is essential for precision shooting at rimfire ranges, but this one is exceptionally fussy and goes totally blurry if it is not set correctly. This is fine if you have a solid rest and plenty of time. The markings on mine are so accurate I could use it as a rangefinder. It is not so good if you are trying to snap off a quick shot at a rabbit or squirrel at close range. Many AO scopes still allow you to get off a shot if you are not adjusted exactly right. Not the big Simmons.

Speaking of big, that's another thing to look out for with this scope. It sits very high. With most guns you will need a special stock with an extra high comb to line up your eye with the scope.
Either that or shoot with your chin on top of the comb and the butt in your armpit.

If you don't ever need to switch quickly between unknown ranges, and if you have a stock with a high comb, this is one of the nicest $99 scopes you will ever find. If you want to hunt small game, it might not be the scope for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reg - My needs were for a general purpose/light hunting/plinking scope with an AO. I thought the WTC was unnessarily large and heavy for my field use so I picked the 1022T. Its much lighter and more compact and I feel will meet my needs better. Now if I was going to bench it or use it exclusively for varmits I would certainly have considered it and the 1048.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.