Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a p22 3.5 barrel 2 weeks ago. I bought the gun because it was easy for my son to operate. We went out into the desert yesterday and my son was only able to fire 3 rounds due to the loud report. I was using federal ammo 1200 fps. Any suggestions how to quiet this little pistols bark?

·
Premium Member
8,977 Posts
Always, Always, Always wear ear protection when target shooting and when hunting if possible. Ear damage is cumulative and PERMANENT. Take it from an Army vet who has had tinnitus since 1970 from firing an M-16 on full auto. There is no cure.

This goes for lawn mowers, chain saws, leaf blowers, skill saws, table saws, hammering, any loud noise. Work is much more enjoyable also if the tools aren't screaming in your ears. There are much nicer sounds for your ears to hear.

The P-22 has one unique feature not found on a lot of other pistols, a threaded barrel so that an adaptor can be screwed on that is threaded for a suppressor, silencer. Lots of paperwork involved if you are in a State that allows them, until then, ear protection. Have safe and fun shooting and especially protect those young ears. M 1911 ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
dont forget the ejector

Until I midified my extractor I would get hot brass in the face constantly. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
You think the P22 has too loud a report? Have you ever fired a glock, or a compensated glock especially? If you wear the right hearing protection, the P22 is really tolerable. Don't buy a suppressor, buy a headset!

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Tell me you are not taking your son shooting without ear protection!!! .22LR rifles are OK but never, ever any sort of handgun. That is, without a suppressor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
CraigC said:
Tell me you are not taking your son shooting without ear protection!!! .22LR rifles are OK but never, ever any sort of handgun. That is, without a suppressor.
You could get by with .22LR rifles without hearing gear, but that's still not good enough. It's cheap and more enjoyable to shoot with hearing protection, I have no idea why it's an issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reply on hearing protection

This is the first handgun I've owned. I have a 10/22 and shoot it without hear protection. So i thought it wouldn't be much louder......WRONG. I bought the handgun because my son who's 11 was able to operate it with ease also it would be useful as a nice side arm if a jack rabbit would present itself in the desert. Are all 22 pistols that loud?? Who wants to be walking around the desert with ear protection and not able to hear a rattler. :confused: not me. treatment with anti venon can run upwards of 25K believe it or not.

Anyways my son made me a proud papa over the weekend tagging 2 doves. First time out and with the first shot.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
All .22 pistols are too loud w/o hearing protection, and will cause minute hearing damage with each shot. The damage is cumulative.

Teach that boy right, plugs are cheap, available, and can be loosely inserted in ears for partial protection, with the option of pushing in all the way when able to do so. Hearing muffs are necessary for target practice with pistols. $20-$30 muffs with a single mike and cutoff setting are available from Harbor Freight and similar places.

·
Registered
10 Posts
lasabre said:
Who wants to be walking around the desert with ear protection and not able to hear a rattler. :confused: not me. treatment with anti venon can run upwards of 25K believe it or not.
Hehe, try living in Florida and watching out for gators, water moccasins, rattlers, coral snakes, scorpions, bears, black widows, etc when you go hunting or target shooting outdoors? Although, those sidewinders do sound scary out there. :)

Also, think about investing in the 5" barrel. I have tried with both the short and long barrel and the long barrel makes the report a little less vicious, and it's more accurate and rewarding.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
lasabre said:
Who wants to be walking around the desert with ear protection and not able to hear a rattler.
That's the tradeoff. I always wear hearing protection when at the range or just plinking but it's usually not practical when hunting. I keep some plugs with me just in case but more often than not, they go unused.

This is one reason why I have total disdain for the .357 because of its "icepick in the ears" crack compared to a moderate .44Spl, .44Mag or .45Colt. Even maximum .44Mag's are easier on the ears than the .357Mag.

Personally, and please don't be offended, but I don't think both you and your son should be learning on the same pistol. You should be totally proficient with it before he even touches it at the range. I don't think he should be carrying it in the field until he has more years under his belt. An autoloading pistol is not the best teacher either. Get him a single shot rifle and let him become one with it before he shoots a pistol, especially an automatic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, to be fair, the P22 is basically for the purpose of learning how to use an automatic pistol. I use it for cheap and fun target practice, but one of the major benefits is that it is really fun to learn with on how to fire semi auto pistols. I started with a semi compact and a compact glock. Not fun to start with. I wish I had learned with the P22 initially.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.