Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Lot to Lot

619 5
Ok, I propose we pool some of our collective data. I'm sure I'm not the only one posting with a chronograph at home that I use frequently. In the post "Got a negative oriented thread for ya..." I proposed that simply trying several lots of the same ammo can help find better lots. I still believe this is true but the ammo must be of reasonable quality to begin with. Today I tested 3 lots of Remington Bulk HP ammo sold through Walmart. Here are the average results from four ten shot strings.

Lot SO3S1E

Average Velocity 1,145fps
Average SD 42fps
Frequent Jams in stock 10/22

Lot SO3S2D

Average Velocity 1195fps
Average SD 39fps
Some jams in stock 10/22

Lot SO6T1E

Average Velocity 1145 fps
Average SD 28fps
Some jams in stock 10/22

I wish I could read the lot numbers so I knew what machine made what lot. I suspect my first and third lot are from the same production line. In all I bought 1,650 rounds of inconsistent ammo. OK for plinking with manual actions but a pain the the rear with an autoloader. Maybe somebody else would care to do the same test with Federal bulk ammo and another person could volunteer to do the same with Winchester Wildcats or Federal Lightning, Remington Thunder bolts, CCI Blazer etc until we have a better idea of what kind of consistency different products can be expected to have from lot to lot. For consistency sake I propose testers only use stock ruger 18.5" barrel 10/22's. Some cheap ammo I have tested has yielded standard deviations in the low teens but those lots of ammo are older lots of at least 4 years old so who know's what is being sold right now. rc
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,463 Posts
Hate to tell you this, RC, but I'm afraid that even if you identify the "best" lots of Remington ammo, it is still going to inferior to most other manufacturers..................

· Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know,I know

My experience with Remington ammo in the past has not been great but the Remington Hollow Point is fairly effective on game. I have tested one lot of the Boxed hollow points that actually gave velocities of 1,300fps and standard deviations of under 20 fps but this was about $2/box ammo. I was hoping that I would find a majic lot of the Bulk Hollow Points but now I know that won't happen. I have had failry good luck with the bulk federal ammo but in recent years I have noticed harder primers with both Federal bulk and Federal lightning. I was hoping others might be interested in pooling information but it doesn't seem like there is much interest so far so I guess I'm on my own. rc

· Registered
615 Posts
You're not alone. I've noticed a decided difference in lots even in cheap ammo. But if you're really interested in accuracy, it just seems like it would make more sense to spend a dollar or 2 more and buy something like Dynapoints, Powerpoints, or SK SS hollowpoints. Doing that will pay much higher dividends than a lifetime's testing of Remingtion bulk. Good luck, and have fun. That's what it's all about.

· Registered
2 Posts
Good ammo for 10/22

I have been doing some rsearch thru my 10/22 and I have found that Federal "clasic" seems to work well in 25 round hot lips mags.
CCI Blazers, federal gold metal target,& "Peters" don't do well at all.
I come to sumize that stick with copper coated in the 10/22s.

I will experiment some more soon.

Take care,
Espis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.