Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Loose Barrel Fit

673 Views 11 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  J Beede
I have been reading tons of posts regarding the tight fit of the barell to the receiver, I'm having the complete oposite problem. I have just installed a GM barrel and found that the factory barrel came out with nu affort and the GM barel slid right in. The rifle is brand new, not a single shot fired out of the factory barrel so no info on how it shoots yet. Is this normal? Will the lack of a tight fit cause accuracy problems?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,500 Posts
I'm not so certain that its a problem with barrels but more with recievers. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying that Rugers QC is junk. But I've saying that I've had recievers that factory barrels are either tight or loose coming out. I generally use some red locktite on the barrel and its never been a problem.

Dave Z.

· Registered
567 Posts
Loose barrel

Mine was the same way, very loose. I used a little lock tite(gun tite) when I put it together and it shoots groups I can live with!

The barrel I bought was a GM SS 20" non-fluted, so it's heavy and I get no droop.

Gary

· Registered
836 Posts
RugerNorth said:
I have been reading tons of posts regarding the tight fit of the barell to the receiver, I'm having the complete oposite problem. I have just installed a GM barrel and found that the factory barrel came out with nu affort and the GM barel slid right in. The rifle is brand new, not a single shot fired out of the factory barrel so no info on how it shoots yet. Is this normal? Will the lack of a tight fit cause accuracy problems?
RugerNorth,

Personally I don't like a barrel shank that's too tight! Too loose no good. Too tight no good either! Long ago my Midway barrel was so tight I had to spend almost two hours to install. No instructions what so ever. Just blood and guts.
Again assuming Ruger mills the hole a certain size then GM can do their part. The proof is in the putting. Install the barrel and start shooting. Perhaps a good brick of ammo before you shoot for groups will tell the tale.

wmrimfire,22

· Registered
20,675 Posts
rugernorth,

a lot of shooters have had the same prob and some have used a shim cut out of a soda / beer can wrapped around the shank with success. if a shim dont fit, dont worry about it. have a bbl that is a tad loose, ( went right in ) but would not take a "shim". tightened up the vee block and don't worry about it. shoots great.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Wanna tight fit? Try a Volquartsen barrel. I installed one last week, lubed the shank and the receiver, and still had to whack it in with a rubber mallet. Must have taken several hundred whacks. Shoots like a dream though. Volquartsen says they manufacture the shanks a few ten thousandths of an inch wider than the receiver to achieve a tight fit, and they ain't kidding!

· Registered
386 Posts
Big Bad Wolf said:
Wanna tight fit? Try a Volquartsen barrel. I installed one last week, lubed the shank and the receiver, and still had to whack it in with a rubber mallet. Must have taken several hundred whacks. Shoots like a dream though. Volquartsen says they manufacture the shanks a few ten thousandths of an inch wider than the receiver to achieve a tight fit, and they ain't kidding!
Believe me I'm not questioning your methods, but did you ever try putting the barrel in the freezer for a couple hours before installing it. Just something I picked up from a machinist friend about 25 years ago. We even on occasion froze machine shafts with a fire extinguisher and achieved a press fit the easy way.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
No, I didn't know about the freezer method. And that rubber mallet isn't new. My wife uses it on me all the time. :eek:

Actually, Volquartsen recommends using the rubber mallet; and I did put a rag over the end cap before pounding.

· Registered
8,058 Posts
built a 10/22 with a douglas air gauge put the barrel in the freezer for 24 hours and had to heat up the reciever with a hair dryer until good and hot and still had to use the rubber mallet just like you guys.

p.s.
that gun would shoot fed bulk hollow points into .250" outside to outside. :Blasting_

· Registered
18 Posts
This is a "shot in the dark", but would knurling the barrel shank give you a tight press-fit (assuming that's what you're looking for)?

I am sure a competent machine shop could knurl the barrel shank without causing deformation to the chamber, since we are talking about maybe a thousandth along the diameter.

· Registered
156 Posts
Every time I start thinking about buying/building a 10/22 I read about the questionable barrel mounting used in this gun. The RRR looks too good to pass up and the one I have my eye on seems tight as a drum. How do you guys remove the barrel when it is a tight or press fit (without damaging the barrel or receiver of course)?

I gave up on rimfire about 18 months ago after buying a Rem597. You can understand my hesitating to re-enter the rimfire waters...

...j

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.