Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Looking for threads on improving stock 10/22

712 12
I just bought a 10/22RPF and am pretty disappointed, it's shooting 2.5" groups at 50 yards, one of the bolt holes in the receiver stripped while installing the scope mount base, the finish inside the receiver is flaking off into the action, the blue in the barrel is very uneven, it fails to extract about 1 in 150 rounds, the scope mount base keeps shaking lose after about 200 -250 rounds which means you have to take the scope off and then screw it back down and then re-zero the thing, the trigger takes too much force to pull and doesn't break so much as smush.

I'm looking for some good general threads on fixing up a poor 10/22 cause I can't return it :(

Also as for the stripped screws I already found the .146"-48 screws but can't find a tap in that size. Would removing the finish from the top of the receiver and bottom of the mount and using a two part epoxy work? Although that means buying a new receiver if I wanted to go to a weaver mount some day :/
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'd suggest you do some reading in the Super Stock area of RFC. The flaking paint inside is no big deal. The holes in the rcvr can be repaired as already suggested. Use blue loctite on the screws to keep the mount secure. don't overtighten or the threads strip out as you found.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I know it's a bit overwhelming but everything you need to know is definitely here. Check the "stickies" in the various categories in the "Ruger 10/22" section.

As Que says the Superstock area is also a wealth of knowledge.

And specific answers are usually a post away.

Take heart.. I got my "start" when SIL had one that I wouldn't have bet I could hit a golf ball at 20! yards. A little work on the trigger and stock and I'll keep virtually all of them inside a dime.

Settle in - read a little - good luck.. g

·
Registered
20,842 Posts
Don't let frustration set in...a 10/22 out of the box is just a start..not a end..it's fun if ya don't let the set backs get ya down...and it's worth it in the end. We have all had our BooBoo's. :bthumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like my first 10/22 prior to a rebarrel. But you should try it at 100 yds before you start to work. I got a Rem. 541T like new a few wks ago and it shoots 2 inch groups at 50 yds but its regularly done 1 inch at 100 with Walmart ammo packs. I'll keep it just because it does so well with ammo my 10/22 will not tolerate.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Hey!

Ahh... "shooter" not "gun" - crossed my mind but I couldn't figure out "why?" - That's a better explanation than I could come up with. :bthumb:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took the barrel clamp off, did a lot of shaving on the stock to make sure it doesn't come close to the barrel anywhere (it was REALLY jamming into the barrel right at the end of the stock I had to remove probably 1/3" of material.) Then I took off all of the optics and carefully put them back on locking all of the threads with clear nail polish and took it back to the range and fed some different ammo, I only tried 5 kinds but eventually got it down to 1.03" at 40 Yards. Thought that group was more lucky I suppose the rest near the end with that same ammo ended up about 1.4"

So now I'm pretty darn happy with the 10/22, I intend to get a new trigger for it though, I'm not very pleased with the trigger, it's not BAD but lacks the nice clean break I'd like, maybe for now I'll try just making it a little lighter.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone, next time I won't be getting the synthetic stock so sloppy :O

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.