Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Looking for some Sako stock wizdom

280 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Tn. Hillbilly
Folks,

I'm looking for some suggestions on a BR stock for a Sako action. I don't have any particular weight class I'm trying to meet, or avoid so I guess "unlimited" is where I'm headed.

I've yet to find any sanctioned matches in my neck of the woods so this is for me, against the target!

Don Stith, Mike Turner and McMillian all seem to have well respected products, I'm leaning towards the McMillian to move away from any wood based stocks but am open to ideas and suggestions. Kelby also has some nice solutions, but they don't (seem to) inlet for the Sako and I've never tackled a fiber/composite stock before.

There is a part of me that says the Sako would make a better sporter class rifle but that would mostly be for future resale concerns that are fairly low on my priorities list.

What do you good (sagacious) folks think?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Kemper.
There are IR50/50 matches held in the Tampa area. Here is the contact info:
Wyoming Antelope Club, Pinellas Park, Florida
John Palso 813-837-6020
[email protected]

I've built several sporters on the Sako actions using both Don's and Mike's stocks. Either one will serve you well for a sporter.

I had a 10.5# Sako in a McMillan that was extremely accurate. I'm not sure if McMillan inlets for the Sako though. If I were to build another heavy gun, I'd lean towards McMillan's Edge stock. They seem to ride the bags better than the older designs. If you go the heavy gun route, get in touch with Bill Myers and buy a single shot adapter from him so you can eliminate the magazine.

Either way you go, be sure to pillar and glass bed the action. The rear pillar is a little difficult to make but it's well worth the effort.

Gary

· Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary,

Thanks for the information.

I'll contact McMillian to see what they suggest for the Sako. I've heard very good things about the Edge and figure if I'm going to do this, might as well do it right. Don Stith's bedding block in one of his stocks is a lure for sure though.

Will definitely look for some contact info on Bill Myers for the single shot solution. I'd not heard there was a single shot adapter for the Sako's, but that would be my preference.

Hope the ARA folks over at the Wyoming Antelope Club are a bit more serious about safety than the run of the mill RO's there. I've shot there once, had not thought I'd have reason to go back.

Building this Sako should be fun. I'd already embarked on this when I found what looked like a good deals on either a sporter, or a 10.5 lb rifle but the budget won't fund this build, and add another (tempting as it is!) Hmmm, wonder if I could justify this Sako for a 3P rifle and buy the 10.5 for a bench rifle? Nah, the wife would kill me!

Again, many thanks!

· Registered
1,382 Posts
I've had the pleasure of shooting with some of those Florida guys at some IR50/50 matches. They're a good bunch of people and I'm sure they'll do what they can to help you get started.

When you talk with Bill, ask him about the Benchmark barrels. I have one of his barrels and it's a good'un. I'll send you his phone number.

Best of luck with the project.

Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.