Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Looking for lightweight barrel

778 13
Greetings to all. I'm looking to make a lightwieght accurate gun. Can anybody give me some suggestions on what kind of barrel I should use. All suggestions are appreciated.

Kepp on gunning.:Blasting_
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Plus 1 on the Caddy of barrels!

I am a squirrel stalker, poodle popper, gopher gunner, rather than a paper puncher, so when I'm walking around all day long, I prefer lightweight barrels. I can attest that the Volq carbon fiber is one fine barrel.

But will all the enthusiasm over Skeeters (Rimfire Technologies) Light weight barrel, and if I were in the market for a new lightweight, I would just have to try one.
Skeeters stuff is top shelf and with all the raves over his barrel, it's sounds, not like a good one, but a GREAT one!

That's my two cents worth of advise. :D

·
Registered
868 Posts
Whistle Pig (who is a sponsor here) makes excellent lightweight accurate barrels. They can be gotten in any length from 16 to 24 inches and are availables in many different colors, fade combinations and marbleized anodizing. They also come standard with Bentz chambers and integral compensators. You can even get get octagon barrels. Here is my 10/22 with one of Whistle Pigs Black fade to gun metal Grey 20 inch barrels.

·
Registered
956 Posts
if you want the lightest barrel that still ranks with the best for accuracy it's the Magnum Research Magnum Lite, 14 oz, i beleive. After that comes the VQ carbon fiber, without comp. of course.
I haven't tried one of Skeeters barrels, but he does good stuff.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Though I dont hunt, I have found using a GM tapered fluted sporter barrel in the Ruger factory carbine stock ,made for a great light weight hunting rifle.Even scoped ,it was very easy to carry and point.Those barrels are not too much money either.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Here are some barrel weight values for you, these are all about 16 inch

Magnum Research 13oz
VQ carbon barrel 23oz
TacSol alum barrel 15oz
Whistle Pig 15oz

The plain jane 18 inch ruger carbine barrel is 28 oz

Good luck with the project

·
Registered
851 Posts
Another direction to travel

Though I dont hunt, I have found using a GM tapered fluted sporter barrel in the Ruger factory carbine stock ,made for a great light weight hunting rifle.Even scoped ,it was very easy to carry and point.Those barrels are not too much money either.
I agree with you there. That's a nice lightweight set up that you can carry all day long and not give up anything as far as accuracy goes.

Hey, there's a GM 16" Sporter in the classifieds right now!

Shameless plug, it's mine. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everything guys. That VQ barrel sure is expensive alright. Ihave looked at some other barrels and the ones you guys mentioned and have also found the aluma-lite barrel. Are those any good?

Keep on gunning.:Blasting_

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for everything guys. That VQ barrel sure is expensive alright. Ihave looked at some other barrels and the ones you guys mentioned and have also found the aluma-lite barrel. Are those any good?

Keep on gunning.:Blasting_
I have made two builds with the aluma-lite barrels,one in 22LR and one in 17HM2, they both worked out very well for me, jim.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here are some barrel weight values for you, these are all about 16 inch

Magnum Research 13oz
VQ carbon barrel 23oz
TacSol alum barrel 15oz
Whistle Pig 15oz

The plain jane 18 inch ruger carbine barrel is 28 oz
That's some good (and interesting) information.

Anyone know what the standard Ruger 10-22T 20 inch barrel weights?

Regards

-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.