Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a reloading press and a bunch of stuff for reloading, but I have one problem: I only own rimfires. I have around two to three hundred I can spend, so I'm looking for a good centerfire bolt action rifle in that price range.

New or used, what should I look for around that price range? Any of the big box types of stores carry rifles in this price range? Should I just stick to the local funshop..?

I'm not looking at milsurp either. Purely sporting... I'd prefer something in .223, .22-250, etc.

Thanks for the help!
John

·
Registered
396 Posts
Probably a stevens in 223 for that. Stevens is the cheaper version of savage. I like the savage- stevens is the same action. If you can find a savage for your price range, the accutrigger is a lot better than the stevens.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What ever you do avoid the Remington 710 and 770 models as they are awful and quite poorly made :( Of course this is just my personal opinion.

Now me I would be looking carefully for a nice used rifle, one made about 25+ years ago as I feel they are better made than most newer rifles, again a personal opinion ;) .

What ever you get make sure it's comfortable to shoulder and it fits you. By that I mean once you shoulder the rifle the sights are aligned with your eye without you having to move your head to find them :bthumb: . If it feels good and comfortable then you will probably shoot it well. Make and model is your choice of course, Oh and don't over look the old 222 Rem cartridge :D the 22-250 is more likely to have a worn throat in a used rifle due to larger powder charge and higher velocity than either the 223 or 222.

Before someone asks, no I would not have a Remington 710 or 770 as a gift! in fact I dislike them sooooooooooooooooo much that I will not have one in the house!!!!! In short it's a throw away rifle that migh make a reasonable Boat Anchor or Tomatoe stake.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Another vote for the Stevens 200. Also look at the Marlin XL7. It appears to be a close copy of the Savage accutrigger model. However, it only comes in long action at present. A 25-06 in this gun would be great to have.

Leon

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Take the $200.00 your currently have, then take your government stimulus check and go buy a cooper. Its what "W" wants you to do. Buy more stuff. Its the American way. ......And, the cooper is 100% made in America.

I think I can hear Yankee Doodle Dandy being played.......gentley.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.