Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone in Oregon that would be willing to share a place to hunt rockchucks in Oregon with my brother and I? Careful, cautious, polite, trustworthy, honest, respectful of others prop, thanks, ARC LITE:D
HAVE GUN'S WILL TRAVEL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lost your E-mail

Butch,

Well, thank you for the note. It sounds like your trip was about as fruitful as ours. We went over last Friday and spent the night at Prineville Reservoir. Saturday morning we went around asking all the older folks around town to see what they had to say about good areas to hunt. At the sporting goods / stationary store they told us that in the last few years fewer farmers have been allowing people to come and hunt on their property. I guess that a couple of bad seeds have ruined the hunting for the rest of us. We did get some ideas about the Paulina area, and a huge ranch over there. I should have written down the name, because I already forgot it. At Bi-Mart we were told that there was actually pretty good shooting north of town in the Ochoco National Forest. We headed there, and found only a few to plink at. We then went back into town, and a guy at one of the gas stations told us that he goes about 8 miles down the road next to the Les Schwab warehouses. It turns to public property there. We think that he sent us on a wild goose chase. It was nothing but dust and Juniper trees. I did find a nice branding iron about 10 miles from nowhere. It is pretty rusty, but I thought it was a neat souvenir. When we originally planned the trip we were going to go over to North Powder. It is just north of baker City. I have an Uncle there that owns a few hundred acres, and was begging us to come over and shoot some squirrels on his property. But by the time that we planned the trip we couldnt get the time off, and that is a real long drive for us "valley dwellers". Next year, I think that we will just plan on going over to his property early. He said that up until a couple of weeks ago he has been seeing a ton of Sage Rats, and lots of Rock Chucks as well. The problem with hunting on his property is that he owns a water bottling company, "Oregon Trail Natural Spring Water", and he might sell the business and retire in the next year. I will have to have him find some hunters that are willing to let us come over if he does. The ranches over that far east seem to be a lot bigger, and will let you fire centerfires as well as rimfires. That just means that I will have to talk the wife into letting me get another rifle. This was the first year that my brother-in-law and I did this, and we are really gung-ho about doing it some more. Since the alfalfa is getting too tall for sage rats, we might find out about rabbits in Surpise Valley or Christmas Valley towards the end of the month. I sure appreciate the info and tips from a fellow Oregonian.

Keep in touch, and keep your powder dry,

Harold Holman

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.