Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Looking for a new bullseye pistol and can't decide??

2330 Views 37 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  CraigJS
I'm considering a S&W 41, or a Benelli MP95E. Budget is $800 or less.

thanks,

Sean
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
The Model 41. Don't be afraid of an older one in good condition. Bought my A serial number 41 (1982 build) for $600 and am very happy---super trigger. Check with the posters in the S & W section--several experts there praise the Model 41. Other benefts: stripping is very simple, additional barrels snap in, and new mags are only $20 at Midway!!

Vic-One

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bohunk said:
Sold my M41 S&W last fall cause I hddn't shot a match with it since I got my Benelli MP 95E. My first score with the Benelli was 11 points higher than I EVER shot with the Smith.
Really? What was the most noticeable difference between the S&W 41 and the MP95E?

· Registered
440 Posts
The trigger is a little better, the grip is better, and the grip angle tends to lock your hand in the proper position. It's the most forgiving bullseye gun I've ever shot. Every now and then I'll touch off a shot that I shouldn't have and think "that's gonna be a 7 or an 8." Then I'll look in the spotting scope and it's a 9 or 10. The Benelli is also more reliable than the 41, at least for me. If you try one, you'll like it.

· Registered
4,159 Posts
I've got a Pardin SP (which can be found in he used market for less than $800). It has a similar overall design as the Bennelli. The forward mag, raked grip angle and recoil reduction system tends to put the weight out front and lock your wrist as mentioned. It's an ISU /Olympic type design that is allot different from the military style/ angled grip of the 41. Some folks like that, some don't. FWIW, I shoot the Pardini significantly better than the Ruger MK II, S&W 41 and Walther OSP I tried before.
Recomend you find a bullseye /Gallery league and beg a few shots with both before you drop that kind of $.

Lastly, you should be able to find a nice broken in 41 with dot and lots of mags for well under that budget.

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tacoma said:
I've got a Pardin SP (which can be found in he used market for less than $800). It has a similar overall design as the Bennelli. The forward mag, raked grip angle and recoil reduction system tends to put the weight out front and lock your wrist as mentioned. It's an ISU /Olympic type design that is allot different from the military style/ angled grip of the 41. Some folks like that, some don't. FWIW, I shoot the Pardini significantly better than the Ruger MK II, S&W 41 and Walther OSP I tried before.
Recomend you find a bullseye /Gallery league and beg a few shots with both before you drop that kind of $.

Lastly, you should be able to find a nice broken in 41 with dot and lots of mags for well under that budget.
Thanks for all the info. I have been going to the range every week and looking for someone shooting the above, but everyone around here has MK IIs, Buckmarks, Sig Trailsides, or less attractive tools. :(

I haven't found any Bennellis or Pardinis for sale at the local shops so I image I will end up getting a 41.

· Registered
2,725 Posts
What To Buy

I've got 2 Model 41's and one Benelli MP95E. Get the MP95E. Bohunk is right. The grip locks your wrist in a pleasant position which makes it very forgiving of mistakes. I don't have a Pardini (next thing I buy) but I do have a Walther GSP (with all the goodies) and 2 Hammerili's. I like the MP95E best because of the balance.

Wayne38

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wayne38 said:
I've got 2 Model 41's and one Benelli MP95E. Get the MP95E. Bohunk is right. The grip locks your wrist in a pleasant position which makes it very forgiving of mistakes. I don't have a Pardini (next thing I buy) but I do have a Walther GSP (with all the goodies) and 2 Hammerili's. I like the MP95E best because of the balance.

Wayne38
Wow! That is a pretty good endorsement. Did you find the MP95E locally, or did you have it shipped? If shipped... from where?

thanks,

Sean

· Registered
484 Posts
If he got it new he got it here.. http://www.benellipistols.com/ Thats where the importer for the USA is, Larry's Guns. Thats also where I got mine.. The grips will add aprox. 190.00 to the gun. (best money i've spent gun wise) If you can also get a couple of extra mags. It comes with one 9 round, I ordered 3 extra 6 rounders ( again I don't regret that either). If you want to put a "dot" site on it he also has mounts (aprox.15.00). The grips on mine and I'm sure Bohunks 95E are Nills, he now carries Rink. I've heard that they are equal to Nills. (no personal exp.) They seem pricey, but if you can come up with the money, and want a great shooter, put the 95E on your short list!
I'd never seen one or handled one when I bought mine (tax refund), and had been shooting an IZH35M (still have it). I also raised my best 20 points in Gallery. This was after shooting the 35M for almost 1 year and 18 weeks of league. I owned the 95E for only about 6 weeks and shot the improved scores the last 2 weeks of my second Gallery league.( 10 weeks each league)
Check one out!
CraigJS :t

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CraigJS said:
If he got it new he got it here.. http://www.benellipistols.com/ Thats where the importer for the USA is, Larry's Guns. Thats also where I got mine.. The grips will add aprox. 190.00 to the gun. (best money i've spent gun wise) If you can also get a couple of extra mags. It comes with one 9 round, I ordered 3 extra 6 rounders ( again I don't regret that either). If you want to put a "dot" site on it he also has mounts (aprox.15.00). The grips on mine and I'm sure Bohunks 95E are Nills, he now carries Rink. I've heard that they are equal to Nills. (no personal exp.) They seem pricey, but if you can come up with the money, and want a great shooter, put the 95E on your short list!
I'd never seen one or handled one when I bought mine (tax refund), and had been shooting an IZH35M (still have it). I also raised my best 20 points in Gallery. This was after shooting the 35M for almost 1 year and 18 weeks of league. I owned the 95E for only about 6 weeks and shot the improved scores the last 2 weeks of my second Gallery league.( 10 weeks each league)
Check one out!
CraigJS :t
Great info! Thanks

What is the difference between the MP90s and the MP95E. Is it just the grip, or does it have different internals?

· Registered
187 Posts
I really like my two Baikals... they shoot really good and you may be able to find one around still...

· Registered
2,955 Posts
Following this thread with much interest:
I've owned or fired a S&W 41, HighStandard Citation & Trophy, Rugers Competition Slabside, Buckmark target, and several very accurate revolvers. Tests from the bench show most have a comparable level of accuracy, with a custom barrel on my Citation being the most accurate. But this is all mechanical accuracy, not err, shootability.
I've handled the IZH, Benelli, Trailside Competition, Pardini, Walther, Hammerli 208, Sako Tri-Ace, as well as a 1911 clone who's name escapes me. They all felt real good in the hand, but I couldn't hazard a guess as to which would be more "shootable", I've always opted for mechanical accuracy and tried to learn the gun.
On competitors row at Camp Perry, it was interesting to notice the narrow selection of rimfire pistols available.
;)

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
obx22 said:
Following this thread with much interest:
I've owned or fired a S&W 41, HighStandard Citation & Trophy, Rugers Competition Slabside, Buckmark target, and several very accurate revolvers. Tests from the bench show most have a comparable level of accuracy, with a custom barrel on my Citation being the most accurate. But this is all mechanical accuracy, not err, shootability.
I've handled the IZH, Benelli, Trailside Competition, Pardini, Walther, Hammerli 208, Sako Tri-Ace, as well as a 1911 clone who's name escapes me. They all felt real good in the hand, but I couldn't hazard a guess as to which would be more "shootable", I've always opted for mechanical accuracy and tried to learn the gun.
On competitors row at Camp Perry, it was interesting to notice the narrow selection of rimfire pistols available.
;)
Never been to Camp Perry. What seemed to be the most popular? If I had to guess I would say S&W 41 and HighStandard.

· Registered
187 Posts
LuckyDuc said:
I did some looking around for a Baikal too, but they are somewhat hard to find.
Good place to keep your eye out is at www.targettalk.org they seem to come up from time to time there... unfortunately it is international...

HERE is one for sale there now....from Canada

Here is a pic of my two as they are right now...

· Registered
2,725 Posts
Benelli MP95E

Sean,
I saw the MP95E advertised somewhere, thought it was cool and went to my trusted local dealer back in Delaware and told him to get me one. He charged me $490 for it back in 1998. It is standard with no aftermarket goodies. I am a puriest and very seldom add anything special to a gun after I buy it. The two exceptions are 1) I will usually add factory wooden grips if the gun has plastic grips when I get it and 2) If I buy it used I just take what comes with it. That is how I got 4 triggers for the Walther GSP. The best deal I got on a trade like that was from a private individual. I paid a jewelry dealer $275 for a High Standard S-101 Supermatic and after I had given him the cash he handed me a box of "parts" that went with it. Turned out that it was a conversion gun with all the stuff needed to covert it to an Olympic. The aluminum slide/receiver, 3 magazines and 2 extra barrels with 6 weights were just added value. Only thing wrong was the plastic grips and it took 7 years to find the correct wooden ones. I am not a serious target shooter anymore because of my vision so I just collect and plink now.

Wayne38

· Registered
4,159 Posts
Mcelhiney's
625 Main Street, Waltham, MA 02452
(781) 642-9991

This may also help.
http://www.larrysguns.com/usedfire.aspx

This guy had a few new Binelli's the last time I checked. He is also a stocking dealer for Parnini. A search of gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com will usually turn one or two up as well. Still the best place to find one is in a club/ league. Don't forget to add $50/ mag , dot and dot mount. p.s. It's allot of $ but well wrth it if your going to shoot it weekly.

hth

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.