Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Looking for a new .22

472 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Lilbucksht
I have been shopping around and I have heard good things about the CZ. I am normally a Winchester bolt kind of guy, but it would be nice to have something brand new, that I could put a scope on. So if I could lean on some experience, that would be great. I have checked out the CZ website and I am still not sure what model to pick. I have read some posts here and it seems all models are equally popular. I was am most interested in getting a beautiful chunk of walnut, From what I am reading they are all pretty accurate. I will probably not want the varmint if the heavy barrel adds alot of weight. I will be using it for hunting and non-competitive target shooting. Anyone want to help me make up my mind?
Brian
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
436 Posts
Forget accuracy...they all have the same potential out of the box. I.e. folks get trainers that shoot just as well as varmints. The major differences are the stocks and barrels. They use two different dovetails for scope mounting (11mm and 3/8) but there are plenty of options for both sizes. Pick the one that best meets your needs! The CZ website lists meaurements for each gun, including the weight. The Varmint would be my choice, it isn't that much heavier than the American. The 'American style' Varmint and American stocks are better suited for scope use. The Euro style stock on the trainer works great with the iron sights.

To be safe, you should probably get one of each :D

· Premium Member
12,486 Posts
It seems that, at least recently, most of the new CZ's that I have seen have had pretty "ordinary" stocks. My brand new CZ 452 "Varmint" certainly doesn't have a remarkable stock. If you are really interested in a "beautiful chunk of walnut", you should go somewhere where they have a big selection (Whittakers?) and have the ability to choose - or, alternatively, just buy an upgraded or "fancy walnut" stock from CZ.

· Registered
2,412 Posts
I think CZ did import a batch of Americans with a premium stock, and from your description, that'd be your best "blind" bet.

I do think the American is your best option. Fine accuracy reputation (argued be many to the be the most accurate), well suited for scoped use and the polished blue tugs at the heart of anyone who likes the rifles of yore.

As mentioned, a trip to a large stockist would be the best way to find a nice one, but that's not always practical.

Anther option would be to get a custom (or semicustom) stock. There are a couple companies that will duplicate your existing stock onto any grade of walnut you could afford. At least one poster/sponsor here has done a couple guys up right.

Lastly, consider refinishing the stock. As I understand it, CZ uses a semi translucent stain on the Turkish stocks to give them a uniform color and I've heard of a few that have been pretty darn close to drop dead gorgeous under the original stain.

· Registered
10,461 Posts
I have seen the premium stocks on the American and on the Varmint. Of the 4 I saw only one was better than the standard stock, I personally would not pay the extra money for one without seeing it first.

· Registered
13,240 Posts
If pretty walnut is a prerequisite, then your choices are limited to four CZ 452 models (last time I looked) - the LUX, American, Varmint and FS, all stocked in Turkish Circassian Walnut. LUX and FS have the Euro 'hogs back' stock profile designed for iron sight useage, the Varmint and American have no iron sights and stocked specifically for scopes. American has standard barrel profile, the Varmint has a heavy barrel.

If money is not a question, I think CZ-USA can be contacted for special ordering a very nice stock, but I think this option will cost you an additional $100. As well, there is a newer updated version of the 452 (the 453) which has a 'set trigger' function that the 452 lacks. Not a double trigger option - simply push the trigger forward, and the pull will trip with a hard look from a cold hearted mother-in-law. :D Please don't attempt walking around with this set trigger in place - it is very likely you will have an accidental shot!

Would you happen to be a left handed shooter? In case you are and you are really looking for furniture to brag about, check out this stock which is offered for sale on this board - WOW! Again, the price is just for the stock, not the complete rifle.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99147

I hope this helps.

· Registered
10,461 Posts
Or contact Claude Gatewood he does a fantastic job on custom stocks. As soon as I get the finish on the Gatewood stock for my Trainer I will post some pictures. And he is an RFC sponsor.

· Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feedback

I will start my search for the 452 American 22lr. I dont think I would be interested in the 453, because I actually like my Mother in law. Too bad shes not left handed either. I will have to find a place that will open a few boxes for me, and maybe I will get lucky. If they are all plain jane straight grain I may be interested in dropping some extra cabbage for a beauty. So nice to see a gun stocked in nice walnut. I guess Im old fashioned but I dont see the beauty in a gun without it. Thanks for the info all,
Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.