Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around at a few small bore bolt action target rifles, to compete in 3 position competitions, and the like at a nearby rifle club. I think I have a few different Anschutz rifles in mind, mainly the 1903 target rifle, or a 1907 im Schaft 1912.

I also have looked at the 1827 ANSCHÜTZ Fortner biathlon rifle. Are Biathlon rifles as acurate as the small bore rifles, and how does the straight pull bolt of the 1827 lock into place?

·
Registered
396 Posts
The Anschutz is a fine rifle possibly the best there is.

However there is a cheaper rifle that is just as good.

The Weihrauch is one of the best buys in a target rifle ever made.

They are made in Germany and come complete with Anschutz sights and a rail and hand stop.

They are imported by EAA as the HW-660.

The trigger on my Weihrauch is even better than the average Anschutz. If you have ever felt the set trigger on a quality muzzleloader you know how the trigger feels on my rifle. It is too light to measure with the average trigger guage.

The rifle if I remember correctly weighs about 11 lbs.

My rifle will shoot with rifles costing twice as much. The barrel on these rifles are very good.

Go to www.eaacorp.com and go to target rifles. Look for the HW-660. The photos don't do them justice. They are very nice looking rifles. As nice as any Anschutz.

Mine has one matches against a few rifles that cost more than my car.

Dealer cost on these rifles is somewhere around $800 with sights. The sights are valued at $250.

Check these out if you really can't afford the others.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cornbread,
what is this dewar you are talking about? A couple of my friends shoot on a state shooting team here and one is starting a curcuit this summer on a high power team. I know they do a 3 position shooting style and they wanted me to try it. I have tried with a rifle I boroed from a guy I know (Marlin 2000) and well I want one of my own.

I like the biathlon rifel just because of the operating style but price is playing a big factor with all of this.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey, CF;

I have an Anschutz 1827 Fortner, and it is a joy to shoot. There are rifles that shoot just as well, but few are finished as perfectly as an Annie.

The Fortner bolt is cycled as follows:

When holding the rifle in shooting position, your thumb naturally rests on the back of the bolt. It is checkered for a positive feel.

Once you have fired a round, your trigger finger comes off the trigger and lifts a half inch or so to curl around the bolt handle, also checkered (knurled?) for positive grip.

Your finger then pulls straight back, which pulls the bolt back. While this is happening, your thumb is "going along for the ride" against the back of the bolt. When you have pulled the bolt back as far as it will go, you then push forward again, with your thumb, which has never lost contact with the back of the bolt.

Your finger returns to the trigger for your next shot.

The bolt is silky smooth and really fast to operate, and your eye stays on target all the time. - the biggest advantage of the Fortner.

Incidentally, My 1827 is for sale; PM me if you want more details.....

·
Registered
396 Posts
The biathlon rifle in question is most likely the best biathlon rifle made.

However it is really not the best choice for three position competition.

There is no need for its rapid fire in three position or dewer.

Also these are mostly designed for the standing position and not prone or kneeling. The sight radious is shorter and not as suited for extreme accuracy in slowfire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
3 Position rifle

If you are going to buy a 3 position rifle let me suggest that you buy Anschutz. There is no better period in the position rifle shooting arena. There are two models that I suggest. I only recomend a 54 action (their best). If you are limited to $1,500 or so I recomend a 1907. This is a dedicated standard rifle that has the 54 action and barrel 25" and a 3 position stock. I highly recomend that you think more in the lines of a Free Rifle. Much more money , roughly $2100 to 2400 without sights new. But here is the kicker.... Free rifles are in high demand and if you don't like the sport you will be able to sell it with little loss. I sugest a 1913 Supermatch if this is the way you go. Don't let anyone talk you into a 20 series square action. They don't shoot any better, cost $300.00 more and are a pain in the bum to keep bedded properly.
If you need any other info let me know. You may find top used stuff a nealJguns.com. Prices are up there but so is the quality uf the products.:p

·
Registered
396 Posts
The Anschutz is the best if you can afford it.

The Wiehrauch is the best buy if you can't afford the Anschutz.

The Marlin 2000 you are shooting now is a much better gun than most think.

The barrel on these are as good as rifles costing three times as much.

Their main problem is the triggger. The trigger is better than the average Marlin but nothing like a more expensive rifle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.