Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear RFC Members, what are your experiences and/or recommendations for long term storage (years) of firearms that are New In The Box and you want to keep them that way. I really don't want to take them out of the box one a month and oil them down, but if that is the only way I will. Are there other ways to protect them? They are stored in an air conditioned environment. How about protecting the box? Thanks.

· Registered
8,906 Posts
Eezox comes to mind as a great one, but lately Breakfree has produced what they call a long term storage 'Collector' preservative, on the order of five years. Cosmoline still works fine too. The added bonus of getting this right is that it minimizes handling time and therefore chances to ding the gun up. Storage method is half the battle, keeping it in a dry steady environment and not in a moisture-collecting case is vital.

· Premium Member
30,599 Posts
I use Eezox on all my firearms. The vapor barrier bags are good. You just need to store the boxes in a climate controlled environment where they won't get physically damaged. If you had to continually take the firearm out of the box, most boxes won't last very long. Cosmoline is a real pain and it isn't made to keep the wood looking nice. The Military didn't care about that.

· Registered
2,725 Posts
Arkypoppa,
I have a large .22 pistol collection (100+++) and many of them are NIB with another large contingent LNIB. Many have been in A/C storage for between 12 and 35 years. I have zero rust problems. I make my own lubricant based on an old Florida Gunsmith's recommendations and then I store them in a plastic bag. The propriertery lubricant is based on the ingredients in Break-free or Eezox and as others have said, they will work. I try to re-oil them about every three years. DO NOT DESTROY THE BOXES. Some boxes sell as high as $200.

Wayne38

· Premium Member
39,147 Posts
Dear RFC Members, what are your experiences and/or recommendations for long term storage (years) of firearms that are New In The Box and you want to keep them that way. I really don't want to take them out of the box one a month and oil them down, but if that is the only way I will. Are there other ways to protect them? They are stored in an air conditioned environment. How about protecting the box? Thanks.
I store the boxes separately from the rifles. Pistols in hard plastic boxes can be stored in the box and stacked. The factory preservatives are generally pretty good for long-term storage if you are not going to shoot the gun at all and you are storing in climate controlled room. I personally like Eezox for treating gun exteriors after handling. I have a friend that has NIB guns stored in safes for 35+ years in a climate controlled room and they look great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.