Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the range today with my 243 and my 22 mag (no .17 ammo). I was shooting clay birds easy at 250 yards with my ruger .243 VT. So i decided to pull out the ol' marlin 22 mag to have a go at some clay birds at 250. I only needed a few sighter shots and i was right on them clay birds. I would say 1 out of 6 or 7 shots connected, which i didn't think was bad. Anybody else have some long range experience with rimfires.
PS i pulled out the 22 lr but i couldn't see where they were hitting in the scope haha.

TONY

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The Perferator said:
Yeah, but it says on the box "Warning, range 1.5 miles" :). Tongue firmly in cheek.

Perf
Yeah I hate that warning, my friend an expert and safe shooter was taken to court and because he was shooting rabbits on a small property for an old age farmer. This farm is situated 3.7 kms from a houseing estate. Because I'm a battle field sniper in the reserve I'm considered a qualified person in the court system. The prosecutor tried t use the warning on the box to get my friend into trouble. Well guess what, I countered and hit him with,
"My dear sir at what angle would a .22 long rifle be able to travel 2.3 kilometres and at what speed would this projectile still be travelling at what what fps would it it impact at".

I had him cold turkey, because the judge dismissed the case on the basis of a lack of expert evidence on the part of the prosecution.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have read and heard of people shooting .22LR at 200 yards, but haven't tried it myself. At that distance, the drop would be considerable! Unless you shoot into the air, that "1.5 miles" warning is meaningless.
If you're hitting those clays at 250, more power to ya! I don't think I could do it - certainly not in any kind of wind and I'd need a very good scope and rest. Be fun to try though. :t

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, you're lobing them out there alright. probably drops a few feet with a 22 mag. haven't tried the 17 yet. I think it would only work with NO wind of any kind.

TONY

·
Registered
751 Posts
In a bygone era, 200-yard competition with the .22lr was commonplace. Even today, I believe rimfire Schutzen matches are sometimes held at that distance. In fact, I can't swear to it, but I believe our military once held rimfire matches at that distance. In the old days, the competitors did some pretty amazing things with ammo that is not up to today's standards. The bullets drop like stones, but that doesn't mean they don't get there, and with some accuracy.

·
Registered
231 Posts
AZZA said:

Yeah I hate that warning, my friend an expert and safe shooter was taken to court and because he was shooting rabbits on a small property for an old age farmer. This farm is situated 3.7 kms from a houseing estate. Because I'm a battle field sniper in the reserve I'm considered a qualified person in the court system. The prosecutor tried t use the warning on the box to get my friend into trouble. Well guess what, I countered and hit him with,
"My dear sir at what angle would a .22 long rifle be able to travel 2.3 kilometres and at what speed would this projectile still be travelling at what what fps would it it impact at".

I had him cold turkey, because the judge dismissed the case on the basis of a lack of expert evidence on the part of the prosecution.
At what angle? I think you'd be talking to the mortar platoon now! Crack me up.....great job in court!

Perf

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Shot some floating jugs in a water filled coal mine strip pit a
couple times. Distance of 200-250 yards. Seemed to take a
good six or eight feet hold over. Surprisingly the wind does
less to them than the drop at that range. Aimed at something
on the bank and watched for the splash. Walked 'em in to the
general area of the jugs. Connected with them eventually. Must
be something like a thousand yard shot with a .308 or something.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I shoot at a large circular saw blade, about 14" wide, at 300yds with my .22lr CZ452. I hang it suspended between two rebar stakes so that it swings a bit when hit, it makes a nice clank when hit too. I spray paint it white so I can see where I'm hitting it. It takes a while some times to get ranged in, esp on wet days at the range. I have never tried to group at that range before but I don't think it would be very good. When I'm on target I can get 3-4/5 shots on. A couple of friends and me try to see who can get the most 5 shot strings. :D Fun day at the range.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Haven't shot much past 200yrds. with a .22 lr,but I shoot a lot at 100&200.Sighted in at 50 yrds. and depending on ammo you will be 46-56" low at 200 yrds.I have a Weaver T-10 on one of my CZ's and set at 50 yrds I go up 26 clicks for 100 and 112 clicks for 200 yrds.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think the Shepherd scopes have hold-over lines for 300 yd. with .22 long rifle. The scopes are pricey, but as I recall, they also have six inch range finder lines in the reticle to help estimate distance. My guess would be that 40 grain bullets would work better at long ranges that 30 or 36.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.