Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
mako21 said:
I am putting toghther my first 10/22 and wanted to know what if anything needs locktite? and also what one do you recommend?
I used locktite 272 High strength (red) where the barrel fits into the reciever, other than that no need so far. I will mention that if you use a synthetic gun oil it will eat the locktite. Hope that helps.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
88 Posts
10/22 Locktite use points

I have seen many references to using the blue locktite when mounting scope bases to the aluminum receiver. The fine threads in that thin topped receiver should not be torqued too hard. After the rings are mounted, it can be hard to reach some of the 3 or 4 mounting points to retorque.

One should always check the length of these mounting screws to see that they don't protrude much into the receiver, or they could interfere with the top of the bolt. If you do use locktite here, carefully wipe away any that might get to the inside of the receiver.

Red is considered a very tight "locktite" for parts that shouldn't be expected to disassembled often or ever. Blue locktite is said to be removable with "common hand tools", but a little heat from a hair dryer or carefully applied soldering iron can help with either type.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Thanks goodwrench, forgot about the blue on the scope mount. duhhhh

Dave Z.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm not an expert on firearms, my experience with locktite comes from motorcycle racing and heavy equipment. I would not use the red on anything mentioned above, the blue is fine and will not create problems.....DP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.