Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first gun...A ruger 10/22 So far I am very pleased. The only thing is that the gun lock that came with it is supposed to be threaded through the action and to do that you must lock the action open. I was wondering if this is ok to do because if the bolt back the firing pin/hammer is also cocked so there is tension on the springs and such...I dont know if this is ok to do or if there is some way to release the hammer while it is locked up or if there is another meathond of locking it that I should use? And not keeping it locked is not an option I have several small siblings running around who if it were not locked might be able to get ahold of it and do something with it...so if you have any Ideas that would be great.
Thank you much,
~Jordan

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If you're concerned about your springs losing their memory then just close the bolt after you put the lock through.
It'll close most of the way, then pull the trigger to uncock it.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Locking A 10/22

Jmissiaen,

There is no problem in using the "action lock" you were provided with your 10/22. The 10/22, as do other "Ruger" firearms, uses stainless steel music wire coiled springs which will NOT take a 'set' if they are left compressed for long periods of time. :)

To prevent the possibility of "mashed little fingers", after you have installed the locking cable through the magazine well and action, release the bolt and allow it to close slowly on the cable. Now, some little curious fingers can't "trip" the action closed.....! ! ;)

Hope this helps.....! ! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.