Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been wanting to start a project build and ive been reschersing and reading and i was wondering if a lilja is worth the money and if the preformance is worth the extra money compared to a volquartsen barrel?
thanks

·
Registered
636 Posts
Define what you would consider 'worth the extra money'. Lilja and other makers like Schnieder, Shilen, Krieger, Rock, etc... are the best barrel manufacturers bar none. If you want a premier, match-botique grade rifle barrel, these companies are definitely a step above any Volquartsen. You're also going to pay a lot more too. Unless you are a serious competition shooter, you might not be able to tell the difference in accuracy.

On a 10/22, I think it's more of a bragging right than a necessary upgrade.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The question is reliability. If you want to use cheaper ammos in cool weather
get the looser chambered barrel. If you use premium ammo and shoot in warm weather the tighter chambered Lilja will function well and make tiny little groups.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
shtrdave said:
Can't say about 10/22 barrels as I only have 2 gm barrels and about a ten year old midway 22" sporter barrel.

I do have a Lilja on my one Sako Finfire, and it shoot excellently.
how does the midway barrel shoot.... my midway heavy barrel is like a laser!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RWAL said:
The question is reliability. If you want to use cheaper ammos in cool weather
get the looser chambered barrel. If you use premium ammo and shoot in warm weather the tighter chambered Lilja will function well and make tiny little groups.
i do live in louisiana and it is hot over here but at the end of july im goin to ruton(sp?), NM for yhec nationals thats why im doing this build right now

·
Registered
438 Posts
If budget isn't an issue, can one REALLY go wrong with a Lija barrel? Me thinks their reputation speaks for itself. I have the 18.5" SS VQ barrel on my daily shooter and have been pleased. I bought mine based mostly on the quality of the barrel (air gauged/hand lapped/etc.) and partly on their reputation for quality 10/22 components and excellent customer service.

Hell, stop torturing yourself, send me $300, I'll find you the perfect barrel, and I'll send it to you after I've thoroughly tested it :D

·
Registered
488 Posts
xenophobe said:
Define what you would consider 'worth the extra money'. Lilja and other makers like Schnieder, Shilen, Krieger, Rock, etc... are the best barrel manufacturers bar none. If you want a premier, match-botique grade rifle barrel, these companies are definitely a step above any Volquartsen. You're also going to pay a lot more too. Unless you are a serious competition shooter, you might not be able to tell the difference in accuracy.

:yeahthat:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I have a Lilja 10-22 barrel bedded in a McMillan Benchrest stock, a Kidd trigger and a CPC bolt job. With the right ammo, on a good day, when I'm into the rifle, it will shoot 5 shots into a 1/4" group at 50 yards. I've done it enough times to know the Lilja will shoot with that kind of accuracy. Is that accuracy worth the $300+? Only you can answer that.
Don

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
While Volquartsen in top grade, I doubt that it will out perform the Lilja. I can't say that about the reverse.

Dave Z.

·
Registered
936 Posts
xenophobe said:

Kinda like putting a $500 saddle on a $10 horse huh? But hey, if you gots the moola what the heck! Bragging rights are cool! I DO think that you'd probably need a machine rest to be able to measure any accuracy advantage over any other good barrel, and even then unless one used high priced BR ammo you probably wouldn't be able to tell any difference. It's not like you're gonna be shooting at 1,000 yds with a .22 anyway!

FWIW

Dennis :cool:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Put the extra money you save on the barrel towards some nice glass or a case of ammo. If you do decide you want a Lilja I hope you are patient. I believe that there is a 6-8 week wait when you order one.

just my $.22

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
I have one built nearly identical to Dons. It was worth it to me personaly, but then that was my goal... to build the most accurate 10/22 that I could build. Not to build a competitive bench gun.

If you want a competitive rimfire benc gun, so buy an Annie. Here are some fascination stats from the 2000 American Rimfire Nationals:
Here are some interesting stats'

Brand of stocks: out of 93 competitors
64 McMillan
14 Factory
6 Lee Six
9 Others

Actions
22 Anshutz ( includes 64, 54, 2007, 2013 )
15 Rem 40X
15 Turbo
12 Suhl 150
10 Time
6 Winchestr C or D
5 XP, 100 or Calfee
8 Others

Triggers
43 Jewell
38 Factory
6 Canjar
5 Others

Scopes
38 Leupold 24-40
25 Weaver
12 B&L
11 Tasco
3 Lyman
4 Others

Barrels
34 Factory
20 Shilen
20 Lilja
5 Pacnor
4 Hart
4 Blackstar
5 Others

Ammo
69 Lapua ( all grades combined )
13 Eley ( all grades )
9 Federal ( all grades )
2 others

Since this time (sorry I can't find the link right now) Lilja has surpassed Shilen for most shooters and by far with more records. BUT... more factory barrels are still shot than anything else..from the Anschutz factory of course.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.