Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Lilja drop-in barrels?????

I just ordered up a 17HMR barrel for my Ruger 77/22 Varmint.

Does anyone have any experiences with this idea?

I take notice that the factory 22 mag barrel is not free-floated in the laminated stock. Is free floating a good option for the Ruger?
I am hesitant because of the design that holds the barrel in place. (Cap screws & block)

Sorry for the questions, but this rimfire stuff is new to me.

I normally use my 17 Rem, but had fun with the 17HMR in CA last week.

Tips and tricks are appreciated.... THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
There was a gentleman here that had one, he had the varmint taper. He sold the whole rifle to fund another project, but I asked him if he was happy with his barrel. He said he was definitley happy with his barrel and would buy one if he had it to do all over again. I can't imagine anyone not being happy with a Lilja barrel - they are very well known for their rimfire barrels. I was planning on putting one on my 77/22 HMR but I don't think I am going to be able to afford it.:( Also if it was me I would free float that barrel. Just my opinion. If you get one, let us all know what ya think.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gander,

Thanks for the reply.

It's good to hear someone was very satisfied doing this. I ordered the varmint taper also. It's the replacement for what I have now in 22 mag.

I have no doubt in the quality of Lilja barrels. They are a top of the line peice. People think I am a little nuts paying the money for one, since the stainless Marlin is in the same price range, but what the hell. My Ruger already has a trigger and a Leupold mounted on it. So for a total package, this is the cheapest route.

After shooting the 17HMR on ground squirrels last week in California, I can't imagine the 17HMR not doing what the 22 mag can do. Even if the 17 HMR fizzles in the end. I can shorten and rechamber the barrel, and make a sweet little barrel for my 17 Rem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.