Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded for a Leupold VXII scope this weekend and i'm not sure how to adjust it right. I won't mount it for a couple of days because i had to order mounts and bases. When you turn the adjustments, it doesn't click. It also has another ring with a gap in it below the adjustment slot. How does all this work? I've never had a Leupold before. Thanks for the help.

Justin

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think you have a Vari-X II (not the same as VXII). I think the VXII has click adjustments and the Vari-X II doesn't. That ring with the slot moves so the you can set it at zero and then as you change the elevation or windage you can keep track of how far you changed the settings.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The scopes that Leupold calls "friction adjustment" do not click. The older Vari-X II scopes are friction adjustment and the newer VX II or VX2 are click adjustment. I think if it is designed to click it will say "one click = 1/4 or 1/8" on the dial

VX II or VX2 is not the same model as Vari-X II

·
Registered
8,814 Posts
The newest VXII is set up with click adjustments. The older VariX II, the new VX I and the Rifleman scopes have the "friction" adjustments. The adjustment turret screws turn without click stops, and are infinitely adjustable, for example you can blip the zero 1/32'' or whatever by varying how much you turn the screw. The slotted outer dial is marked off in either 1/2 minute of angle marks, or with newer VX 1 in 1/4 MOA marks. The Rifleman is 1/2 MOA marks. The outer ring is notched for zero marking. After you get the desired zero for your rifle, you can use a screwdriver or something similiar to turn this outer ring around to where the zero mark on it lines up with the pointer on the adjusting screw. Then you can use the marks as a reference to any future adjustments away from your zero. All scopes have "friction adjustments" in a way, as the O rings that seal the turret are what bears on the turret screw shaft, except with a "clicker" scope they install a part on top with a spring loaded ball plunger that bears into a machined track with increments notched into at the desired minute of angle. Most scopes being 1/4 minute, some target scopes are 1/8 MOA, and I have some cheapo scopes marked off in 1/2 MOA steps. If you're making a lot of adjustments constantly and need to return to the exact starting point, clicks work better, but if you just want to get it spot on and leave it alone, friction adjustments are just as good as any ever made.
Personally, I can't figure out why Leupold doesn't just go ahead and "clicker" ever scope, how much extra would it cost? Then there'd be no questions of what to do with any of their scopes. Must be beancounters. :eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jlp4951 is correct

The Vari-X 2 model scope is no longer produced. The Vari-X 2 models had only friction adjustments for windage and elevation. The Vari-X 2 models are the older version of the current VX 1 series scopes (also w/ friction adjustments). Many folks use The Vari-X 2 model name and the VX 2 model name in context to the same scope. This is incorrect as the two scopes are manufactured to completely different specs. As well the older Vari-X 2s had different lense coatings, magnesium flouride I believe, which is what the VX 1s currently have for coatings). The VX 2s have the Multicoat 4 coatings.
In short...If you have a Vari-X 2, you essentially have the equivalent of a VX-1.
Have no doubts, it is still a great scope. I have VX 3s (until 2005, known as Vari-X 3), VX 2s and VX1 as well as a couple older 1970s Vari-X 2s and they have all performed flawlessly and continue to do so. By the way if you ship that Vari-X 2 into Leupold they will completely refurbish it or possibly even replace it w/ the like model in the VX 1 series. They swapped out one of my older Vari-X 2s that was turning purple (a common problem with the older annodizing process) with a NIB VX-1. Moontroll...if you look at you Leupy I am willing to bet is says Vari-X 2 not VX 2. Hope this helps straighten some of the confusion out. Shoot Safe!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I got three of the VX II's and they are all Multi-coated and click adjustments. I think they are practically (if not exactly) like the older Vari-X III's. I also got one of those and I really can't see any difference.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i think the difference can't be seen. one piece tube for the vari-x 3 and more reinforced around the power adjustment ring among other things. If i got the budget i won't settle with anything less than a VX-3 in the leupold line up.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have the vx11 and it says its friction but when I turn the adjustment I can't here the click but I can feel it.I have a M8 6x42 that is friction adjust and I can not feel it.I have a vx111 I can hear and feel it.Is there somthing wrong with my vx11.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Moontroll...I would write Leupold a short letter explaing the problem. On the letter and somewhere for your own records, note the model and serial#, pack your scope well, ship it insured so it will have to be signed for, and if there is in fact an issue w/ your scope I am sure they will solve the problem to your satisfaction. I personally believe a fair portion of the cost for Leupold proucts is for their outstanding customer support, as well as the product itself. Good Luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.