Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Leupold, Nikon, or Weaver?

1931 24
Right now I'm looking at three different scopes about the same power and price.

Weaver Grand Slam 4.5-14x40 A/O, Matte Finish, Dual X Reticle

Nikon Monarch 4-12x40 Adjustable Objective, Matte Finish, Niko-Plex Reticle

Leupold VX-II 4-12 x 40 Fine Duplex Reticle, Adjustable Objective, Matte Finish

Help! I can't decide. Weaver is 325, Nikon 340, and Leupold 370. I usually shoot at 25-75 yards. I know Weaver is good, but does it compare to the Leupold? I haven't heard much about the Nikon Monarchs, so any input on that would be great too!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'd go with the Weaver Grand Slam.

The optics are superb and Weaver's tracking is unmatched.

Definitely worth the price!

Do a search for Weaver Grand Slam and you can read all about them!

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I've got both the Monarch and the Grand Slam. The only complaint I have about the Nikon is that its minmum pre-focus is 50 yds and it is a little fuzzy under that distance.
For the money, it is really hard to beat the Grand Slam. The only downside is that it does not come with lens covers. You won't regret getting the Weaver.

Gary

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I like the Leupold's

VXIII's to be exact ,it is the brightest. But the VXII's are good too.

My favorite of all is the 4.5 X14VXIII.
If I was limited to one scope that would be the one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks plinker, but I can't afford that much for a scope :( . Thanks to everyone so far! I think I will go with the Weaver, but does anyone have anything BAD to say about it before I buy?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Scope comparison...

Let me preface this by saying that I haven't tried the EXACT models you listed, but I did compare a Nikon Monarch and Leupold VXII (both 3-9x40) in the store.

Tried both at 3x and at 9x, looking at the same object about 80 yards away...the Nikon was WAY clearer and brighter than the VXII. I was looking at some African game mounted on the wall which had 3 small white patches on the hide -- The Monarch picked up all 3, while the VXII could pick up the largest one, and the second largest only so-so.

Also tried a Zeiss and a Burris Fullfield II in the same manner. The Zeiss was the best, but only barely better than the Nikon (not worth the additional $150), and the Burris was almost as good as the Nikon (smallest spot was a tad fuzzy). So at $50 less than the Nikon, my pick was the Burris. For what it's worth....

--Otter

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've been told that Nikon scopes are made by Burris.

Does anybody know if that is true or not?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BillB said:
I've been told that Nikon scopes are made by Burris.

Does anybody know if that is true or not?
I don't know, but I doubt it because they are a huge company and they make pretty much every other optical product imaginable. Like I said though, I dunno.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I recently went through the same process of picking a scope for my 10-22. Let me preface this by saying I've preferred the Leupold scopes for years on all my centerfires, but didn't feel justified in spending that kind of money for my rimfire since I doubt I'll be shooting in formal matches...at least for the time being...so established a max price of $300 and would prefer something closer to $200. I didn't want the power range to start at 6, preferring 4 or 4.5 to start with so I narrowed my choices down to a Weaver V-16 and Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14. I have never owned either scope and no Nikons at all so went to the store to look through them, much the same way as you did. They didn't have either of my selections, but they did have a Nikon Monarch 4-12 and a Weaver V-24. I looked through them both and was very impressed with the Monarch. The V-24 was terrific but wasn't a direct comparison due to the magnification. They later turned up the Buckmark 4.5-14 which I also tried and was greatly disappointed. It wasn't quite as clear and the close focus wasn't nearly as good as the Monarch. Based on clarity, brightness, and the close focus ability I felt the Monarch was superior to both. I later found a V-16 to try and was extremely impressed, but never tried the Grand Slam. I ended up with the V-16 and don't think I'll ever regret my decision, but if I'd established a higher dollar limit for a scope purchase I might have picked the Monarch...it really was nice.

Hope this helps...it's a tough choice.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Yeah , Burris definitely does not make Nikon scopes. The Nikon scopes I have looked at were made in Taiwan , I believe. The Burris scopes are made in CO. I looked at a few Nikons at a Gander Mountain one day and the zoom knob on one of them was so stiff I could barely turn it. Although the optics appeared to be quite good.

I bought a Weaver V16 recently which is a step below the Grand Slam if I understand correctly. Have not had a chance to mount it yet but I have looked through it quite a bit and the view presented was much better than a 4X-12X Vari-X II Leupold I was considering at Sinclair. I could not believe the optics on the Vari-X II! It was a used scope - I could see why the owner was selling it! Also will admit that this particular scope may not have been representative of the usual Vari-X II optics. I own the next step up Vari-X III and it is an excellent scope.

Burris also makes a matte 4.5X-14X 42mm PA Fullfield II which sells for $313.60 (plex) or $324.38 (fine plex) from Midsouth - at least those are the prices in my 2002 catalog. Although I am sure the PA only is good from 50 yards on up. I own an older Burris Fullfield 6X and the clarity , brightness and resolution amazes everyone!

From your 3 choices I guess I would have to go with the Grand Slam - especially if it allows the close PA you would need to shoot at 25 yds.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I think a lot depends on the user's eyes. I know mine are different, so I try to stay out of the clarity and resolution comparisons as much as I can. I have $500 glasses and 20/1200+ eyes with slightly bad color vision. I simply can't see very well through the lower end stuff, although I know a lot of people that get pretty good mileage out of it. $308 for a Weaver T36 that lists for $793 is about as low as I can go for a scope to be used for hours at the range. Even a compact .22 scope must have AO to allow me to adjust for my eyes - something like a Leupold EFR compact. (Note: I've done my time at the office - 29 years - and now it's only money to be spent.)

Anyway, the other reason I punched the button to post was this, from Beretta's site:

"Accokeek, MD (October 29, 2002) - Beretta Holding S.p.A. announced today its purchase of Burris Company, Inc. Burris designs, manufactures and distributes a complete line of rifle and handgun scopes, as well as binoculars, sporting scopes and scope mounting hardware. Burris has been owned by Inductotherm Industries Inc. for 17 years."

From what I've read, almost all of these lenses are made in Japan anyway(Leupold, Burris, Weaver, plus the usual other companies) and it depends on the what spec the company contracts for.

John

·
Registered
28 Posts
http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/scope.html

I think this link was posted elsewhere in this forum, but it's excellent...explains who makes what for whom, etc.

And here's something else to throw more fuel to the fire :) I've heard alot of good stuff about Swift scopes...the 676 series is 4-12x40 AO, and can be had for about $110-120 + SH from http://www.eabco.com/ Very tempting...

--Otter

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
JohnBT said:

From what I've read, almost all of these lenses are made in Japan anyway(Leupold, Burris, Weaver, plus the usual other companies) and it depends on the what spec the company contracts for.

Since Weaver is made in Japan (at least the ones I have seen) it would only make sense that the lenses would be made there also. I called Leupold once and they confirmed their use of imported lenses.

Burris used to state in their catalog "We make every attempt feasible to aquire materials , included lenses, in the U.S.A. Lenses are made for us by an American sister company." This was in a 1996 catalog so a lot can happen in 7 years. I also read recently where one of the Burris lens vendors located in the U.S. sometimes uses imported glass "blanks" for their lens material.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the link. Good stuff in there...

As long as the lenses are made in Japan or the US, then I'm happy. Of course I would prefer all Made in the U.S.A. products, but it's hard to get low prices on that.

About the Swift scopes, I'm afraid of buying from a company that claims to be better than Leupold at 1/2 the price. They have got to be cutting costs somewhere or "dumping" into the US market. Thanks for the info though.

The problem with Burris is the AO min is 50YDS, and I'm shooting at 25-75YDS. Does anyone know what the AO mins are on the scopes I mentioned (Especially the Weaver)?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks chundoo, that should be close enough for my shooting. I mainly shoot at 50 and 75 yards, the 25 yards is for introducing non-shooters to the sport.

Would someone please check this chart and see if they can figure out which column is referring to the Grand Slam. Or, maybe there is a website out there with better specs. THANKS!

·
Registered
704 Posts
nikon/leupold/weaver

Nice to "see" a fellow Georgian in here.:cool:
I have little experience with Weaver, but a great deal with both Nikon and Leupold. My Weaver experience was zeroing a rifle for a friend on the eve of deer season. As the sun set, the Weaver got dark quickly. It seemed almost cloudy at anything over 6x.
I have always used Leupold scopes, primarily the VX III models. They are tough to beat! I recently tried a Monarch (3.5-10x50)on my primary hunting rifle and am glad I did. It lets me shoot at least as late as my 3.5-10x50 Leupolds, if not later.
As for clarity, the VX III and the Monarch dessimated the Weaver on the same evening. I was able to shoot with the Weaver and check the target with my Monarch (100 yds).
As I previously stated, I have little experience with the Weavers so I don't mean any offense to the Weaver faithful, it just lost in my comparison. When confronted with Monarch vs. VX II, I take the Monarch 2 to 1. Throw in the VX III and things lean toward the Leupold.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.