Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read on "Shooting Sports" online that heavy steel mounts may strip the bolt holes in the 10/22 receiver, which scared me.
Anyone know if Leupold rings and bases constitute 'heavy'?
Anyone use them? Any trouble with using them on a 10/22?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Leupold Mounts

kevral,

I think what you are referring to is an "Urban Legend", possibly with some truth to it: most users of Leupold bases are coming from the world of centerfires with their steel receivers; just looking at that Leupold base makes one want to really torque down on those little screws in that soft aluminum receiver.....! ! :(

Leupold mounts don't damage receivers.....! ! Users of Leupold mounts damage receivers......! ! :(

The only problem that I have read of here on RFC is that of the infamous "lump" at the forward end of some 10/22 receivers; this prevents the one piece base from fully seating and sometimes results in stripped receiver holes.....! ! :(
[Read more about it in "Tips & Tricks" by Randy of "CPC"]

Hope this helps.....! ! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thanks, it helps:)
Was thinking about it after I posted: if anything, weight of the base has to be irrelevant as long as the entire scope/mount setup isn't too heavy. If it's even an issue then....
If it turns out I have a lump I'm taking the rifle to a gunsmith!

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's fairly easy to strip the screws on the aluminum receiver. It's less forgiving and the temptation to snug it that little bit more may be too much. It happened to me and I had to retap the holes for slightly oversized screws offered by Brownells for just that event.

I used a smaller handled screwdriver which prevented me from really torquing the new screws. You might try just applying force to the short end of the torx wrench provided in the Leupold base kit. If you torque the screws with the long end of the wrench in hand you will surely apply too much force.

Also make sure you use the shorter screw in the Leupold kit for the hole above the barrel.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have the Leupold base on my 10/22. I would give it a medium rating. It seems solid enough, price was under $20 (+ rings) but, I don't care for the way it overhangs the front of the receiver and I think the rings are too far forward for the 3x9 scope I'm using. I partially stripped the threads in one hole installing it and ended up trying loctite. My only excuse for being such a loser is that I bought the base before I found this site :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Turn the base around

The holes will still line up and the windage adjustment will be on the front ring instead of the rear. It will also move your rings back farther so your scope won't be so far forward. Try it, it does work.
Ted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.