Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a Leupold with CPC reticle? If so, what are your impressions? I can see where it would be a superb hunting reticle but was wondering if it would it make for a good target reticle? I plan to use the scope for both hunting and IR50/50 competition. I was planning on a fine duplex but have found a used scope on auction with a CPC reticle and my curiousity is peeked.

As always, thanks for the input,
RG

·
Registered
162 Posts
Anyone have a Leupold with CPC reticle? If so, what are your impressions? I can see where it would be a superb hunting reticle but was wondering if it would it make for a good target reticle? I plan to use the scope for both hunting and IR50/50 competition. I was planning on a fine duplex but have found a used scope on auction with a CPC reticle and my curiousity is peeked.

As always, thanks for the input,
RG
Randy,
I have a Leupold 3X9 with CPC Reticle. I also have several Leupold 6X18 with the Fine Duplex.
I prefer the fine duplex for primarily paper shooting but would not hesitate to get another CPC.

BRH

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Comtemplating the purchase of a scope sight unseen is tough enough. Add the fact that it has a reticle that I have never seen before only makes matters more frustrating.

BRH

If you can, put both your scopes on 9X and tell me if the cross hairs are about the same thickness at the intersection.

The reason I ask this is because I do not care for Leupold's standard duplex thickness. To me it's just too thick for my tastes. This is probably due to the fact that I grew up using standard crosshairs and all duplex types look thick to me.

Thanks again,
RG

·
Registered
162 Posts
RandyG,

I really cannot tell any difference in the cross hairs at the intersection between my two Leupold scopes at 9X.

The 3x9 is about 40 yrs old and the 6x18 is a year old. They both look good.

As a matter of info I had a 6x18 with a Target Dot and it was very fine lines leading to the very small dot. I sometimes had difficulty finding the Dot because the lines were so thin. I traded it - but I don't have "young eyes" either. Some guys really like them.

BRH

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info "H". The scope was a Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 and went for $375 or so. You can get a new VX-III with reticle change and paralax adjusted for $450 from their custom shop. Unless I find a really good deal, I'm going to go new.

Thanks again for your help. If I come across a nice scope with a CPC reticle, I won't be afraid to pick it up.

Shoot straight,
RG

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't think you will be happy with the CPC

I have a lot of scopes and do a lot of varmint hunting, silhouette shooting and paper shooting.

I really do not like the CPC reticle. For me (and most of our club members) the fine duplex is best for paper and varmints. The top of the thick post gives you another aiming point for which you can know the range.

For silhouette I (and most) use larger dots, like 5/8" in a 24X.

I had one CPC and sent it in to get it changed to a fine duplex (and the CPC at that time was an "extra cost" reticle).

Just my silly guess but I'll bet the current owner doesn't like the scope and that is why the CPC is for sale. But, Leupold will fix it no matter what and a reticle change is not that expensive if you get the scope for a good price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.