Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a leftie (and rookie) I'm having trouble finding a bolt action rifle that is easy to use for general shooting and shiloette shooting. Accuracy is also a main concern. The local gun shop has A Marlin 39a and a 39as, the 39a is an older model with the uncheckered fore grip and chrome lever, the 39as is practicly new, for about the same price. Would either of these guns be appropriate for shiloette shooting (i plan to add Lyman peep sights) or would I be better off finding an older remington or winchester target rifle and living with the bolt on the wrong side?

·
Registered
574 Posts
new2-22!

I'm a lefty as well, grew up around rifles and handguns, none made for me, so I can relate ;) as I see it you got two choices... by a left handed bolt, and learn to shoot that way.. and pay the price ( higher cost of rifles... never shoot your buddies guns etc...) or learn to addapt in the right hand bolt world... there is many solutions to the problem, you might find a lefty in your area that would be willing to help!

Personally, I use my right hand comes back from the forstock to opperate the bolt, while my left stays on the grip area of the stock.. rifle never leaves my shoulder. works well and can be very fast for some. depending on weight, I've also done the reach over method..

at least this leaves your rifle choice's much more open... keep an ey on the post, we've got a lot of lefties here!

Kevin

·
Registered
230 Posts
Its a matter of adaptation. My bench gun is a left port, right bolt. And I have to load each round with a fuze holder (its a time action). Now, sitting on the other side of the rifle makes this pretty tricky, but through practice It has become very easy for me. So, I guess what I'm saying is, get a good rifle, and learn to work with it.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
New2-22,
FIRST,
WELCOME to RFC!!
I'm a lefty, but I'm right eye dominant, so I've always shot as a "righty".
Another option would be a rifle stock and barrel for a T/C Contender (Something I'm planning on getting SOON).
Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.